suicide-the demon within??

Status
Not open for further replies.

IV2010

I was talking to an aquaintance and her son has suicided the same way as mine...
She always refers to him having demons... because she's so religious she believes that the devil got to him..she's going to have stickers printed to hand out with "Suicide-the demon within"
My ex says the same about my son...he had demons
My son did not have demons and neither do I and I take great offence at the pressumption that if you're depressed and/or suicidal you must basically have a demon inside...

so what do you think?

aoeu

Are you sure they're talking about religious demons? I've heard and agree with the idea that "we all have our demons"; in my opinion mental illness and suicidal impulses are definitely demons of mine. But I'm not possessed.

LogDork

Senior Member & Antiquities Friend
Well, I'm not religious at all, but I suppose if the definition of "demons" might include extreem motions taken because of overwhelming desires, or dislikes for that matter, I've fought with some demons
I became posessed 3 winters ago
this 100 year old, ton and a half cincinatti lathe has me obsessed
...mumbles...endmills, dead centers, thousandths, aloris?...

morning rush

depression and suicide is a mental illness, not demons...people need an escape goat to blame human emotions they consider bad...that's why religion is so popular, they can blame whatever responsible they have on the devil instead of just taking responsibility...

people who suicide don't have demons residing inside of them...its pain, pain so unbearable, and a view of problems that is bigger than it actually is...we depressed people have a distorted view of reality, we only see negativity, and its like everything is amplified and is so overwhelming that we think only suicide will stop it....we're trying to kill the part that hurts so much...

at least that's my opinion....

nolonger

It's a metaphor. Or something.

'Demons', in this situation and context, meaning mental/emotional troubles. Well I assume.

But IV, this friend of yours, I'd say she has problems....printing out stickers with 'Suicide - the demon within', seems a bit inconsiderate to not only your son but her own.

Suicide is not an illness, it's a perceived solution to a temporary problem. Her son(and yours) wanted the pain to stop, NOT to kill some fucking demon or what ever that was inside him. No offence, but I find it stupid when people start relating mental illness with their religious beliefs(ie, demons possessing people = mental illness).

For their sake, they should probly stop saying that they had demons. Because if they're religious and they relate demons with negativity then they'll only have bad memories or think of their child in a bad way. But unfortunately suicide can always taint someones 'reputation'(sorry, couldn't think of a better alternative).

plates

I was talking to an aquaintance and her son has suicided the same way as mine...
She always refers to him having demons... because she's so religious she believes that the devil got to him..she's going to have stickers printed to hand out with "Suicide-the demon within"

so what do you think?
If she's said this clearly I do not believe she's talking metaphorically.

I've had this a lot, from nurses in psych wards, to religious friends thinking mental health problems of any kind is demonic possession. It didn't used to effect me because I was not religious- I'd find it amusing, in a tired way. Their beliefs are very strong and they do not see the devil, or "evil spirit" as a metaphor and have a very strict idea of 'sin.'

I think the devil is a metaphor in itself but some people see the devil literally from whatever religion they follow; my experience has been predominantly Christians. The people telling this to others suffering extreme distress could be highly anxious, confused, have a poor understanding of mental health issues and suicide and then use "the devil" as an explanation or as a way of avoiding personal responsibility, where they themselves might be 'the devil' but introject into people who are killing themselves or have died through self harm/suicide, as a form of emotional and mental abuse.

Last edited by a moderator:

IV2010

this woman actually thinks that 'bad' angel (the devil- can't remember the name of the angel) was responsible for her sons behaviour and death...
she is a zealous religious fanatic
I think handing out these stickers to people is wrong..
it just might send someone who is suicidal over the edge to tell them they are a demon or are possessed by demons when it's actually in my opinion rubbish..
it made me defensive when she started on about it and for once I stood up for myself and told her my opinion

IV2010

I don't think she 'got it'..she's a very strong willed person and I'm just learning how to be assertive...I could've got relly angry but tried to be calm. :)
maybe I should've been more aggressive in this instance

plates

I know too well what it's like to try and talk to people who refuse to "get it"-some people never "get it," especially if they are in denial about their own responsibilities/behaviour and are religious fanatics (or other type of fanatics, or just thick and think what they are doing is okay).

I've had to distance/ignore the person in question if they still do not 'get it' after many tries, especially if it involves a sensitive subject like suicide and mental health issues and even more so when you're grieving. :hug:

Last edited by a moderator:

titanic

Non-Christians find the whole concept of demons scary or even ridiculous. Unfortunately, there have been too many horror films which depict the whole issue of 'demons' incorrectly. When I was a non-believer I too struggled with it. But now I see from both sides of the fence as I have personally experienced deliverence ministry and healing and know that it works.

It isn't a case of attributing blame 'something else' spiritual warfare can be as a result from life experiences for example abuse (just one example) can open the door. It is a very sensitive subject, but I do wish to include this video and maybe it will help show from a Christian perspective deliverance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w39vErgIMM

Lovecraft

If God is all-powerful and all-knowing there's no such thing as demonic problems *OR* God allows the demons to have at you and you can thank God for seeing fit to have you possessed.

Phteven

this woman actually thinks that 'bad' angel (the devil- can't remember the name of the angel) was responsible for her sons behaviour and death...
she is a zealous religious fanatic
I think handing out these stickers to people is wrong..
it just might send someone who is suicidal over the edge to tell them they are a demon or are possessed by demons when it's actually in my opinion rubbish..
it made me defensive when she started on about it and for once I stood up for myself and told her my opinion
i think clearly the problem is her's and when you look at it, it kinda suggests she is trying to offload some of the responsibility of her own sons suicide onto something intangible and may be feeling a little guilty or ashamed about her sons suicide and saying that demons possessed her son helps her deal with the guilt and shame of it...idk but it could be a coping mechanism for her as she can blame the demons and hold no personal responsibility or have some sort of entity to blame for the tragedy so she can focus her rage there? Idk but if she brings it up in front of you again try to be assertive and tell her your position that you dont appreciate her tell you that your sons was possessed.

Lovecraft

In response to your post Lovecarft, it might be an idea for you to read the pdf in my signature to find the answers to that.
Alternately you could could give me the relevant idea instead of asking me to read a whole book to answer one small question I doubt it'd answer at all anyways.

IV2010

i think clearly the problem is her's and when you look at it, it kinda suggests she is trying to offload some of the responsibility of her own sons suicide onto something intangible and may be feeling a little guilty or ashamed about her sons suicide and saying that demons possessed her son helps her deal with the guilt and shame of it...idk but it could be a coping mechanism for her as she can blame the demons and hold no personal responsibility or have some sort of entity to blame for the tragedy so she can focus her rage there? Idk but if she brings it up in front of you again try to be assertive and tell her your position that you dont appreciate her tell you that your sons was possessed.
I thought this too zombie....I wonder if the constant 'pushing' of religion onto her son didn't help him but aggravated the problem..

I believe if she goes ahead with the printing of stickers saying "suicide-the demon within" and hands them out in the Mall she's gonna get a mouthfull from a few people who take offence too

Phteven

I thought this too zombie....I wonder if the constant 'pushing' of religion onto her son didn't help him but aggravated the problem..

I believe if she goes ahead with the printing of stickers saying "suicide-the demon within" and hands them out in the Mall she's gonna get a mouthfull from a few people who take offence too
lolz indeed i would be one of those who would give her a mouthful...

titanic

Don't make assumptions and point the finger about this bereaved mother, how can you summise that pushing religion aggravated the problem?! Just because it disagrees with you, don't make it not normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00