SUICIDE the philosihy behind it

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Razz, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Razz

Razz Member

This thread is NOT promoting suicide or anything like that.I am someone who have tried suicide before and have been stopped for doing it and these suicidal thoughts are common for me.

I like to know opinions on suicide of people of SF.

I often want a answer of this super philosophical question that why we should continue living?What's the point of it?

I usually get responses like , " you only got one life and you might as well enjoy it" but what about THOSE who are literally or MOSTLY suffering and cannot enjoy so call " life " ?Would you force them to find enjoyment in life and continue living knowing that there is NO hope of enjoyment no matter what they try and end up in more suffering.Would you force that existence?Then there goes the entire point of subjectivity in enjoyment, which destroys the idea that "one must enjoy this or that". Suicide is obviously a VERY heavy subject.

A VERY important question I have for people here is this, would you stop someone from committing suicide knowing full well that person has no pleasurable future?

Serious answer please!

2. jxdama

jxdama Staff Member Safety & Support

Pleasure is subjective.
  3. SinisterKid

SinisterKid Safety & Support SF Supporter

Your life belongs to you. My life belongs to me. What we choose to do with those lives are our choices to make and only ours. Do they stop people jumping out of planes with just a strap of material tied to their backs because now and again, someone dies doing it? Do they stop people climbing Everest because some of them will die doing it? No, they allow people free choice to do those things should they so wish knowing the dangers that exist in doing them.

If I choose to end my own life in a specific way, that is my choice and I know the likely outcomes of my actions, just as a climber knows climbing Everest could cost them their life. Its just we choose different ways of going about it, but the outcome could be exactly the same.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2016
  4. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Many years ago I had a teacher who fought with this question. He didn't think he would try and stop someone. I would. We do not know what the future brings. It may bring more pain. But it may also bring some joy and happiness. But, in he end, it is our choice.
  5. lifetalkz

lifetalkz Well-Known Member

Razz-I was chronically depressed and suicidal for a very long time (mid teens to mid thirties)-I no longer struggle with that disease and there is a very distinct difference between the mind set of a depressed person and the mindset of a person who pursues life in the neutral position. I mention this because it goes to the heart of your question-what is the point of life? What follows is my own understanding of a life philosophy which comes from personal experience. For me the difference had everything to do with perspective and a deep belief that people and situations would never change so they were hopeless so there was nothing going on that was worth sticking around for. The mood of hopelessness leaked into and affected every aspect of my life-my opinion of myself and everyone I cared about. My life sucked, everything was broken and there was nothing I could ever do to fix it so I just wanted out. But I've learned a lot since then.

What I've learned is that the only constant in life is change-people change-relationships change-situations change. In truth nothing and no one ever stays exactly the same. When I could manage to keep bringing my mind into a neutral position instead of a negative position tremendous (positive) change started happening in my life. I can say now that there are very few situations that are completely hopeless-more often than not, life opens up and reveals beautiful opportunities to people with open minds-minds that don't have a vested interest in always seeing the worst in a situation, I don't walk around with my head up my bum like Polyana-I approach everything and everyone in neutral and wait to see what happens. Most of the time good things happen, not bad-people are decent and well intentioned.

There is definitely no point to living a life that is full of pain and self-hate-a life that always expects the worst and never the best. I used to be that person but I am not anymore. So (in my opinion) the point of life is to learn how to open your mind up to brand new possibilities-because if you do, life will reward you with that thing that you are looking for. When I changed my thinking from negative to neutral everything changed-that one small shift eventually caused massive change in the way that I saw myself in the bigger picture. In closing-would I stop someone from committing suicide for whatever reason they have chosen-NO because it is their life and they can do with it what they please. This is my two cents on the subject-I'm not an expert, just a survivor.
    Brittless and Rival like this.
  6. Huw

Huw Well-Known Member

WARNING: This post has references to salvation. It includes references to the Creator and Sustainer of all. If you think that you’d find these references unacceptable or offensive please do not read any further.

The father of philosophy, Descartes, answered this question. Not directly, but the result of a statement he made qualifies as an answer to the question, does the life of man, belong to man? To do with as he pleases and does man have the power to do whatsoever he pleases and should the person be allowed to end it all?

René Descartes insisted that there is a Creator. He also said that it is outside the bounds of the power of man to discover the existence of the Almighty. It is only by revelation from the Almighty that enlightens mankind to this fact. ( Methods and Meditations)

He later said that by diligent study and rational thought he himself had discovered that the existence of a Creator was beyond all doubt.

Taking this philosophical point into consideration, we must then ask what is the will of the Creator, what has He to say on the subject? This needs to be discovered in the writings of His revealed will and testament, The Bible, what does the Bible say?

The Bible says that mankind is a slave to sin and through sin will live in abject misery. “ There is no peace unto the wicked saith my Elohim” and “But the wicked are like the troubled sea, when it cannot rest, whose waters cast up mire and dirt.” (wicked is mankind in his natural state, before salvation)
    Furthermore that the prince of the power of the air dwells in the children of disobedience.(Ephesians) It is this evil power that drives the wickedness in man that results in the evil acts that man enjoys and yet hates. Enjoys to perform, but hates, the evil acts perpetrated against him/herself. Although Satan works in mankind he does not have power over life and death nor does man.

Salvation means that the poor soul is rescued and set free from this slavery. That soul then lives a life of liberty and service to the Eternal Almighty.

This is not about religion. This is not about what man must do. This is not about the 10 commandments. This is not about going “to church”. This is the salvation that is, “by grace, through trust”.

Man cannot deliver himself from this evil power and slavery, he must needs be saved from it.

I spent the first 43 years of my life in this abject misery. I knew that there was something seriously wrong, but didn’t know what it was.

I was an atheist and hated anything and everything to do with religion. I was being driven to death and I was on the brink when I was saved. July 17th 1999 @ 10:30am was the day of my revelation and salvation. I didn’t ask to be saved and didn’t think that the likes of me could be saved, but I was. Prior to that moment in time I had only existed, but at that moment, I lived and was truly alive for the very first time in my 43 years.

If you hate me for saying these things. Or you hate and deny the Almighty. Then you are thinking and doing what I used to do, but He literally changed my mind.( Repentance) We were at enmity until He, through the salvation that is in His Son, declared peace with my troubled soul.
  7. beatdown

beatdown Well-Known Member

I try to think that maybe good things will come if I just do my best and give things a try, even if i cant imagine it.
  8. Zeke171

Zeke171 Active Member

I would try to stop someone from offing themselves, yes. Even though I may end up commiting suicide myself. I feel as a person that I have a moral obligation to at least try and provide some comfort to a person who is suffering. Because I understand what it's like to be miserable with no hope. And I think anyone who talks about suicide with others, really deep down doesn't want to die yet. It's a very personal subject as Mr. Camus states. Although assisted suicide for someone in agonizing pain with no hope for succor is a different can of worms for me...
    lifetalkz likes this.