suicide threat from teen sister/not sure how to act

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by tony1337, Jul 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tony1337

tony1337 New Member

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

So here's the story. I have a sister of about 15, and she giving my mom lots of trouble, you know usually teenage stuff. There are fights in our house almost every day for the stupidest of things, and my sister doesn't fear my mom at all, i think she knows she can control her. Well today just about the biggest fight yet happened. My sister threatened to leave the house, and my mom woudn't let her. Anyway, apparently she threatened to kill herself will pills.

I told my mom she was just trying to control her and there's no way she'd do it. My mom can't stop crying and says she'd do just to hurt her. I don't know what to do, or how to take it. At first i thought it was a boast, still do, but reading online about suicide threats they say to take every theat serious.

Why i think she ws boasting is because that's how she operates to get what she want. She's very popular in school and has plenty of friends, and has never made a threat like this before or shown any signs.

I just really don't know how to help my mom.

Anyway, my relationship with my sister is abismal. So i can't talk to her, we don't get along at all. (I'm 22, and live in the same house, and its just us 3 living here)
  2. Silverpuddle

Silverpuddle SF Author

Can you get your mom to get your sister into therapy? It sounds like she could use it whether she's serious about suicide or not. That way a professional can determine whether she's at risk or not, and you don't have to guess.
  3. tony1337

tony1337 New Member

My sister would never consent to therapy.

Anyway, thanks for the replay, but it seems everything is OK for now. My mom and her seem to have worked it out, at least for today.
  4. Silverpuddle

Silverpuddle SF Author

If your sister is a minor, it doesn't matter if she consents or not--it's your mom's decision.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear things are better! :)
  5. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

The next time she pulls that one take her to the hospital and tell them she is suicidal... She won't like that ..Maybe she will think twice before she runs a guilt trip on your mom..Or if she is serious she will be in the right place to get help...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.