'suicide trance'

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by IV2010, Dec 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

anyone heard of it or experienced it?

I think that's what's happening for me..

it's amazing how good one can feel about dying :)

P.s.
    I have not done anything to myself .. just saying!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2011
  2. _Lily_

_Lily_ Forum Buddy

No i have never herd of it before ...do you want to talk about how you are feeling ?
    has anything happned to make you feel like this ?

3. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I have another thread somewhere with all my crap on it..nothing changes!
    thanks dark asylum for replying

4. MoAnamCara

MoAnamCara SF Artist

IV - re the "trance", no. But I know a certain relief can come over us when we have these thoughts.

I hope you stay safe.

5. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

ichard A. Heckler, Ph.D. on a state of mind he calls "The Suicidal Trance"
    Richard A. Heckler, Ph.D. made a fascinating study of individuals who survived suicide attempts. In his book, Waking up, Alive, he has described the decline toward suicide.

“As these stories unfold, we can identify critical components of the decline toward suicide. The stages of the descent are these: Pain and suffering remain unaddressed …. The person then withdraws behind a facade designed to protect himself or herself from further hurt and to cloak the suffering underneath. However, the facade only intensifies the slide toward a suicidal trance. Ultimately the trance narrows the person’s perspective until the only inner voices that can be heard are those that enjoin him or her to die.

… Early in the withdrawal phase, people still make some effort to stay in touch with the world and hope for at least some promise of better things. But when hope finally dies, people no longer see or hear anything outside their own minds --- the tight spiral of thought that tells them to die. While this shift may occur just moments before a suicide attempt, it can be months or years in the making. A colleague of mine from Louisiana, an experienced therapist for many years, contemplated suicide for over a decade. She describes this mental state as “an almost totally separate reality, in which your world may not look or feel so limited and painful to anyone else, but it does to you. You enter a very powerful trance.”

During the latter stages of the descent, people lose faith that their predicament will ever change. Their strength is depleted and they are deeply stressed. Some people are never able to leave their chronically destructive surroundings. In other cases, there is just no one able or willing to push past their facades. In yet other instances, people are no longer able to recognize support when it is in fact available.

… The trance is a state of mind and body that receives only the kind of input that reinforces the pain and corroborates the person’s conviction that the only way out is through death. The trance marks the moment at which the world becomes devoid of all possibilities except one: suicide.

…Despite differences in detail, everyone who attempts suicide enters the suicidal trance. …

Suicidal trances can be identified by certain common characteristics.

* They appear extremely logical, with a premise and a rational series of arguments that encourage suicide as a reasonable response to pain. These arguments are powerful, especially when created by someone who has become emotionally deadened --- whose reservoirs of faith, trust, and hope have run dry.
    * Suicidal trances appear as resignation, in which a person stops caring at all about the state of his or her life. They are frustrating and frightening to family and friends: it seems as if there is no force strong enough to persuade the person to act on his or her own behalf.
    * Suicidal trances “beckon.” As the trance intensifies, it becomes more insistent that the person finally complete the act. These urgings most often take the form of voices entreating him or her to take the final step, or of images presenting a picture of the final act.
    * Finally, this type of trance includes a particular vision of the future: an illusion of eternity in which the future is projected as an endless repetition of the present pain and disappointment, never-ending and hopeless."

Excerpted from Waking Up Alive by Richard A Heckler

6. wallflower

wallflower Well-Known Member

I was dealing with that in some ways, what I did was shift it through being realistic, positive, and grounding. Maybe if I'm feeling low self worth it could be from a cause, or a situation I was worried about. I put a lot of energy into shifting from darkness, and I have supportive friends and people. And sometimes even though I'd like to carry the weight of others I know I can't take a blow all the time for things I can't control. Before drastic matters evolve, it's better to approach the situation from a practical approach and see various angles. Though I know there are things that can't be changed at first, a situation will change over time and a situation can always shift. Preparing for shifts and changes helps too. Christ taught about self love and showing compassion to those who are against you, so did the Buddha. Compassion can make you vulnerable to cruelty, but being firm in your love helps you to identify with justice. Sometimes I feel like life is a surreal ocean of dreams.

7. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hey "A", Sorry to respond so late.. I was out of town.. Trance I don't know.. I do have days where my suicidal thoughts stck with me all day..My thoughts on it are that the more I think about it the closer I come to really wanting to go thru with it.. One of the main things holding me back is my friends I have made here who have invested alot of time in keeping me from it..Take Care and Love You, Joseph

8. 1Lefty

1Lefty Well-Known Member

Re: 'suicide trance' MAY TRIGGER

Not sure if this is the same as you're referring to, one of my "lead ups' was a night I had planned for my death. I sat on the floor, knees drawn up to my chest , arms wrapped around them, rocking back forth screaming louder and louder "I'm not afraid to die, I'm not afraid to die" and as soon as I had to calm and catch my breath, I put on another piece of my chosen clothing, then back to the floor, repeat the process. It was almost hypnotic, or ritual, like I could also watch myself from outside my body, while the voices, in rhythm with my screaming/crying said "It's time, you can end this now"

9. Flying Fox

Flying Fox Well-Known Member

I've never come across a better fitting explanation for my emotional state for the past several years than this one. Thank you for sharing; he's captured it all in a nutshell.
    Also, has any one experienced complete relief or feel like the happiest person in the world when you find your reasons (come to the conclusion that) to commit suicide to be "justified" (couldn't be more reasonable)?

10. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

i feel cheated,ive never felt this:(

11. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I can agree with everything you've said. My ritual is to go to a local restaurant and get food for the occasion. I order specific items from the menu when I am suicidal. So it's a ritual. I mostly come home and eat, then stare at my pills. I also have voices 'beckoning' me to follow through with it, aside from the voices that I hear on a daily basis. In fact, the voices take bets whether I will kill myself.

Sick, I know. But that's the way things are. At least for me.

12. jlc20m

jlc20m Well-Known Member

I understand what you're talking about. Only I call it suicidal tunnel vision. When I'm suicidal, the thoughts and feelings take on a life of their own. At that point, the danger becomes greatest. I understand.

jlc20m et al :cry:

13. vir

vir Well-Known Member

Crap, that long purple-text post sounded frighteningly familiar. What freaks me out is how sometimes I think, wait, there IS a solution to my problems! And it takes me a fraction of a second to realize that the solution in question is suicide.

14. AlienBeing

AlienBeing Well-Known Member

Sounds just like how I feel now and in the past before attempts--minus hearing voices. I don't hear voices. When I've attempted, I've been perfectly calm and completely emotionless as if in a trance, so yeah, I understand what he means.

15. Johnnyc

Johnnyc Well-Known Member

About a week ago I had a sense of euphoria about killing myself.
    I wanted so badly to experience death just as I experienced life, it was a comforting feeling.
    I knew these feelings where wrong so I took a sleeping pill and went to bed.
    That feeling is now gone.

I now feel the feeling of sadness and anger and am on the verge of using my method.

16. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Don't give up IV. You're a really nice person. Hope you have a better new year. :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.