suicide unnecessary at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwalchmei

Being worked to death. After 7 months of layoff - and the fact that I had to start going into debt in order to keep things like lights on, food, etc - found new job.
They have a policy of holding my first check.
Had to go without eating for three or four days at a time - to make sure my kids had 3 meals a day - during the past 4 weeks.
They are also working me extra.
I don't have to worry about suicide. The "good 'ole US of A" and the treatment that is tolerated here is going to take care of murdering me for me.

did you get unemployment benefits while you were laid off? if not, you might be able to get them retroactively

there are community food pantries where you can get free food. you might be able to find some on-line

gwalchmei

may71:
Got unemployment. Was nowhere near enough to support my family (unemployment tops out at $260 a week in Alabama). Even if I moved into a two room shack with my two kids, wouldn't be enough to pay rent, keep lights on, make car payment, etc.
There's a food bank, here. Based on my pay up until my time of layoff, I don't think I qualify.
What angers me is the fact that I tried to explain my situation to my employer, and they seemed angered that I asked them to pay me within the "usual" timeframe (2 - 3 weeks).
My kids at least get to eat. I've managed to get them through without missing a meal the whole time...
Kinda wondering if a popular uprising might not be a good idea these days...

Speedy

Staff Alumni
Hey gwalchmei,

Nice to meet you. I am from Alabama as well, and I'm afraid I have to agree that $260/week is definitely not enough. :( I feel for you; I really don't know what else to say.. :hug: I will be sending my best wishes towards you and your family.

All the best,

Alex

jlc20m

Being worked to death. After 7 months of layoff - and the fact that I had to start going into debt in order to keep things like lights on, food, etc - found new job.
They have a policy of holding my first check.
Had to go without eating for three or four days at a time - to make sure my kids had 3 meals a day - during the past 4 weeks.
They are also working me extra.
I don't have to worry about suicide. The "good 'ole US of A" and the treatment that is tolerated here is going to take care of murdering me for me.

I'm really sorry about your situation. Is there somewhere you can go for extra support, financial and otherwise? You are an amazing mom that you're sacrificing so much for your children. But, your wellbeing is precious, too. Sorry, but that's all I can offer...

17:pinkrose:
(in jlc20m's DID system)

gwalchmei

may71,
I think they base that off of previous year's income. Which would disqualify me.
Finally got paid. Am managing to get bills under control (sort of).
Still, I'm sick of this stress. My whole life has been a fight -for everything. I watch all these privileged people here in Huntsville, who have never had a day of struggle in their lives. I've been having to scrap for everything these people had handed to them, ever since I was a kid.
I'm damned tired of it. And I'm damned tired of having to look forward only to a future of even more struggle.
Life is hard - but this is ridiculous. We shouldn't have to struggle for basic needs to be met - as if we were in some sort of third world country. Hell, people in third world countries shouldn't have to struggle.

lostinca

Unfortunately I understand what you are saying since May I have lost 30 pounds thanks to the stress of not having a job and not having any health insurance. Thank god my boyfriend put me on his insurance as a domestic partner or I wouldn't have any health insurance which for me is a very bad thing.
Have you looked into maybe receiving something like snap or any county benefits for you and your children just so you can eat? It's not healthy at all to go 3-4 days without eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00