suicide without mental illness?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Unregisteredhere, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was wondering, is it possible to feel suicidal without having a mental illness? People always say suicide can only happen when your mind is mentally unstable. Is this always true??? And are there any people on this forum that don't have any mental impairments but constantly feel suicidal?

2. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Normally, suicidal feelings are caused by something in your brain, so I guess you could consider it being mentally unstable.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

If you look at the Japanese suicide rates then a third of all suicides are by the elderly, and another quarter are by people with financial problems. Whether they would be classed as mentally unstable is debatable. Many suicides are linked to depression, stress etc. which can be brought on by losing your job or a family member... again would you class these people as mentally unstable? You may say depression is a mental illness, but the point I am making is that there are so many factors involved that it is hard to generalise.

4. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I was told I have no mental health problems, that my brain is healthy. Yet I am incredibnly suicidal, and have been for about 15 years, I SI, OD and have an ED.

So apparently you can be suicidal without being ill.

5. Also consider that there are several people who are terminally and/or incurably physically ill, who suicide.

6. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

S, from what I've learnt in Psychology eating disorders count as mental illness.

Being mentally 'unwell' doesn't necessarily have to involve a physical problem with your brain.

I personally don't think anyone who is mentally well would be genuinely suicidal. But then I don't see being mentally ill as insulting.

7. ~Nobody~

But these people suicide because they develop depression, as a result of the illness.

Many many people with a terminal illness never contemplate suicide at all.

8. Not true, Nobody. I am a member of a prominent right-to-die organization, and no member of it kills themselves because of depression, other than myself, partly. Anyways, the reason they suicide is due to the physical illness being more painful than they can tolerate, not depression.

9. ~Nobody~

So, what about the people I mentioned who never contemplate suicide?

Do they just have a higher threshold for physical pain? :blink:

10. Nobody, I assure you, as I am very aware of the mindsets of people with severe physical illness, as I myself am stricken with a severe form of peripheral neuropathy, that most people who suicide from physical illness, do not do so because of depression.

11. ~Nobody~

I don't mean to insult or upset you, honestly. I'm sorry if that's what I've done/am doing. :hug:

The point I was trying to make still stands, do you think you could answer my question?

12. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

I'd say a huge % of people who commit suicide are mentally ill, every now and then you'll see someone in trouble, going to prison or whatever and they'll kill themselves to keep from consequences.

13. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

I've attempted suicide, sometimes feel suicidal and I don't think I'm mentally ill. Not all people who commit suicide are mentally unstable.

14. Nobody, everyone has different levels of pain tolerance. There are people who are very wealthy, healthy, and happy who kill themselves, and there are people who are poor, sick, and unhappy who never kill themselves. I can't explain the reasons why they do or don't, since everyone's situations differ from each other, though I can and will tell you that the majority of physically ill people who suicide, do not do so because of depression.

15. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

It's a difficult one regarding suicide amongst those who are physically unwell. I would think that one would do so due to the physical suffering/pain they're experiencing. I guess unhappiness is part of it too, but I'm not sure I'd use the term 'depression'.

16. chilled...

chilled... Guest

I think most people have considered it once or twice. I dont think its a sign of mental illness. But feeling down constantly could be depression.

I once considered it. Out of guilt. Cos I felt I deserved it, cos I had hurt someone a lot and I kept hurting people. I dont know if that was rational or not.

But then I thought - being dead, what good will that do anyone? If I have messed up I may as well try and make amends. Or at leasr never make the same mistakes again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.