Suicide Witness Survivor

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by Nikita Marie, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikita Marie

Nikita Marie New Member

Hello Everyone, I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate place to post, so pardon me if it isn't. But, I wanted to know if anyone has witnessed a suicide and how they dealt with the after effects of it?

My husband manages a residential building and this weekend, a man took his own life. Without going into detail, we heard it, saw too much and were first to respond. This all happened just outside our balcony so aside from the trauma of this tragedy, it's associated in my mind to our home. My soul feels injured and aside from the event itself, just knowing someone felt such dispair... My husband had to assist police in determining this man's identity so he is suffering perhaps more.

We do have an appointment next week to speak with someone, but if you've witnessed a tragedy like this, what helped you put it into some context that you could deal with it?

Take good care and thank you for reading.

2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

The PTSD of the members of our Armed Forces is similar to this. It is a horror movie that replays until the work is done to put it in its place. Of the endless consequences to the living brought on by suicide, this one is a victimization that is rarely calculated. I am a survivor of horrific child abuse and suffered many years with PTSD and double depression because of it. But do know, it is possible for PTSD to be treated and the person to reclaim his/her life. I am so sorry you witnessed this, and I hope that you both are able to be made whole again

3. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I can only echo what Sadeyes has said. It is best to address this issue early on with the appropriate counselling or therapy. It can be treated and overcome. You have shown a positive step by posting here, and any time you need to talk or reach out, feel free to post here.

4. Nikita Marie

Nikita Marie New Member

Sadeyes and Butterfly,

I very much appreciate your responses. When you do speak of this with people, there are those very empathetic, those that change the topic very quickly and those that think "well life goes on, get over it". I'm guessing it's not uncommon responses for people seeking help. But things are getting better and it started by posting here and just getting the process started.

So thank you - may have seemed in a small way but you've made an impact on my healing. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.