Support Forum for family

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Bambi, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Does anyone know a support forum for our family members? My Dad is falling apart over my current state and I talk with a friends parent who is struggling for understanding.
    Of course it is not appropriate to be members of the same site as us so anybody know where they can go?

2. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I wish I did. A friend and I tried to start a site for friends and family of self-harmers, and it didn't take off. I know a few others who have tried to start similar forums, for friends and family of people who are depressed, and they never got off the ground.

I'm not sure if this will be of any help, but I run a self-harm support site (the link is in my sig). But we also have several members who are depressed and don't self-harm, and we do have some friends and family members of people with depression there. Since it's not a forum you belong to (I know that would be awkward), they're more than welcome to join if they have any questions.

3. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

I think the best thing to do is offer them articles of self-injury and then just letting them interact with people who do self-injure. I wouldn't let my family and friends know about my SF self, but WebMD and other big sites like that have health forums for Self Injurers. I wonder if you'd need a specific support group for the families.

Misunderstanding seems to be the biggest problem.

4. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. I am not finding much which saddens me. Does anyone think their family members would utilize a forum if one was available? I have seen how lost and confused my folks have been and want to help them and other parents. Also I think it would be a relief to some of us knowing they were getting support and the more they understand the more we can all get through it together.
    Please anyone any info would be appreciated and please let me know if you think a forum/site for family would be helpful.
    B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.