Support groups

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Sami8, Aug 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sami8

Sami8 New Member

I have searched endlessly on the Internet for suicide attempt survivor support groups. There are a few out there but very, very limited. Does anyone have any informatoin as to how to locate a group of this nature? There are a multitude of suicide survivor groups, which is a good thing. But what about those of us who are trying to live with suicidal feelings?

2. champie

champie Well-Known Member

Sami, I was a little confused by your post, so let me just ask a couple questions..

Are you looking for in person group meetings? If so, have you looked at meetup.com?

I have browsed there on several occasions and had bookmarked a group a few weeks ago. After reading your post I decided to go ahead and sign up for an upcoming meeting. So, I don't yet have personal experience with it all, but your question gave me the push to check it out. Perhaps there is something there for you too?

If there isn't anything there for you, perhaps you could call some of the professionals in your area and ask for information and suggestions. I know that isn't as anonymous as the internet, but you have nothing to be self-conscious about and they should be more than happy to guide you at least another step.

I may be talking crazy here, but there may even be opportunities to encourage one of the pros in your area to organize a group. There may even be some therapeutic value to you in such an endeavor.

/me reminds self to take my own advice :)

3. Sami8

Sami8 New Member

Thanks Champie. I do so appreciate your reply to my question. I will check out meetups.com tonight. I will also talk with my counselor next week about such meetings although I'm sure she doesn't know of any as she would have informed me about them by now.

I'm glad you found a meetup meeting. That's great! We need to always remember we are NEVER alone! There is always someone out there to talk to about life.

Thanks again Champie and please take care.

4. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

NAMI can direct you to an appropriate support group if you're in the USA. If you're outside USA, then I'm not sure.

5. champie

champie Well-Known Member

Sami, I'm just trying to do my best to be helpful but I am struggling for solutions as well. I am curious about the response of your counselor. If she cannot provide helpful information, I think it would be ok to contact other professionals and ask them what they know or can do to facilitate a local meeting. I could be wrong, I am not certain, so I would appreciate your thoughts and feedback on that.

Please come back to this thread and let us know how the search is going. I have been thinking that it is important for all of us here to return to threads to push them toward their logical conclusions.

Take care of yourself!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.