Survival Instincts

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Inspire&Inquire, Apr 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inspire&Inquire

Inspire&Inquire SF Supporter

There is a problem that I have, a serious problem.

I seemed to have lost my survival instincts. How do I get that back?
  2. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

What have you enjoyed doing in the past? Maybe try doing some of those things - even if you are not currently feeling like doing much. Being actively involved in life - making choices to try to make it a good life - can enrich being alive, which usually helps to strengthen our survival instincts.

The other thing is to talk to a therapist about this "blah" perspective on life and figure out where it is rooted and put that behind you. Life can be rough, and it can still be good. I hope you find some things that help. *hug*
  3. Inspire&Inquire

I consider myself happy. I am active, outgoing, but I don't care about things I should care about, like my grades in the classes I take. I'm writing my thesis in international space law, modeling perfectly elastic collisions, learning U.S. history, playing sports, reading for leisure. I just want to do what is enjoyable to me all the time.
  4. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

So, like most people, you have some hedonistic tendencies - the desire to seek out pleasure. Those are normal if balance with our responsibilities. Hedonism can be self-destructive if taken too far.

Most of us would like to do what enjoy all the time. And most of us realize that as adults, to pay for the fun stuff, we have to fulfill our responsibilities. School is a time when we have fewer "adult" responsibilities" - and more time to do fun stuff. It can be jarring to realize we're going to be full-fledged adults soon and won't have as much time/opportunity for only fun/interesting things.

If you are nearly finished your degree, maybe the idea of going out into the world of "adulthood" feels icky right now. That is common enough. You are right that your survival instinct (to settle into your "responsibilities") needs to kick in so you don't sink into unfulfilling "nothingness". What sort of career are you hoping for? What would you like to be doing in five years from now in terms of work and your personal life?
  5. Inspire&Inquire

First of all I would like to thank you Acy for replying to my post.

I think you gave a name to my problem "Hedonism" but I didn't get an answer to that problem.

What career am I hoping for? What would I like to be doing in five years from now in terms of work and a personal life?

I haven't given that much thought. I don't identify with any answer to that question. For instance, I would prefer to be a scientist, but I'm not driven by that goal. Part of my issue is I don't fear mediocrity. I would like to. I would very much like to be driven either by the sense of accomplishment, or the fear of failure. Instead I'm driven by the desire to learn and communicate concepts.

I don't care about career or anything like that, I just want to learn. I would like to do a number of things. I would like to engineer better desalination systems. I would like to fully model the kinetic theory of gases quantum mechanically. I would like to start a business. I would like to turn my chemistry quiz program into an android app. I would like to annotate books by Walter Isaacson. I would like to write a book on space law. I would like to write a book or article about the qualities of success. Any decision I take for my life feels arbitrary. That is my problem. There is nothing I can think of that I want to do with full conviction. And so, I feel doomed to switch between goals, come up with new ones so as to never accomplish them.

This realization should be cause for concern, but I don't feel it.
  6. Jenumbra

Jenumbra SF Supporter

Inspire&Inquire likes this.
  7. Inspire&Inquire

Thanks for the link. I can sleep easier now. I've been so intimidated by the question what are you? What do you do?
    Jenumbra likes this.
  8. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Maybe its called.."burnt out" in what you were doing.

Simply put just take a step back take a break for the time being as long it takes a week a month a year hiatus whatever your heart desires. You seem to be a very intelligent person and can figure it out in no time.
    Inspire&Inquire likes this.
  9. Inspire&Inquire

Yeah, perhaps. Thank you for your input.
    DrownedFishOnFire likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.