Survivors Book

Discussion in 'Rape and Abuse' started by mackaroni, Dec 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mackaroni

mackaroni Well-Known Member

I am a survivor of childhood sexual abuse. A couple of months ago I contacted a local photographer who I saw on the local news. She was putting together a portrait book of survivors of Sexual Assault/Abuse/Rape to put a face to these issues and as a way to bring awareness to these issues.

Today was the photo session. I met the other eleven people who are going to be in the book. There were different ages, races, backgrounds, and yes even two men involved. It was one of the most empowering thing I could have ever done for myself. Each survivor got our own mini photo session where we got to pick out our own outfits, how we wanted to pose, and even add fun accessories like tiaras, boas, and umbrelllas. We also got to write our mini-bios. The coolest part was that we each got to use a fabric square to write/draw anything we wanted about how we are overcoming our past issues and have become survivors. These will be combined into a quilt to be auctioned off in February to benefit a local nonprofit program who works with survivors and prevention.

I highly recommend that if anybody has an opportunity to participate in something like this to partake. The photographer told us to write only what we wanted in our mini-bios and we could even use fake names if we wanted. We will even get to keep the copies of the photos she took. She is going to try to get the book published at some point. It didnt cost me anything and I gained a lot more than I could have dreamed. I also got to connect with other local survivors and have some more people to add to my support system.

Take care of you:cool:
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Wow hun good for you for getting the courage to participate in such an empowering event hugs
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.