Sustainable Living

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by protonaut, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. protonaut

protonaut Well-Known Member

Recently I've started looking for ideas on achieving higher sustainability in 21st century lifestyles.

Autonomous Buildings

"An autonomous building is a building designed to be operated independently from infrastructural support services such as the electric power grid, municipal water systems, sewage treatment systems, storm drains, communication services, and in some cases public roads."

http://www.earthship.net/

With $ 150,000 and a piece of suitable land, I can have these guys build me a hippie home. I better start saving up now. :laugh:

In all seriousness, I don't really mind being "fathered" by modern society - though it's nice to have some environmentally healthy alternatives. These earth ships are certainly not complete solutions for those seeking absolute independence, but at least it's a start.

Maybe a few architect students could even build their own version of this, construct a dam or use solar panels for electricity, filter water from a river, etc. Imagine never having to pay electric or water bills, rent, city parking fees, etc. If you had a large enough farm or greenhouse, you could even focus energy on that and be free from working and buying groceries. Still, it's best not to be completely alienated from civilization. It's nice to have doctors, hospital and other services around. Free health care may be available in some countries, but you'd have to look into that. Unless you're retired or are very wealthy, it's probably best to be working at least part time and saving the money you don't use or perhaps investing in stocks. Living in the general vicinity of a town or city and having access to paved roads is important. Excluding the 1% of you that are licensed helicopter owners.

Personally, I don't mind working, paying bills, commuting (see other thread on electric cars) and being active in a society. It's all about the location that makes the difference. Living in a small town with plenty of natural areas nearby would suit me well. (I have a soft spot for Vermont) Also, it would be cool to have a small farm or greenhouse one day - I've taken some horticulture classes in the past, and I wouldn't mind putting the knowledge to good use. But I can be happy living almost anywhere, I'm just thinking long-term. Research has shown that rural living and enjoying the outdoors can extend human life expectancy and more importantly quality.

Not much of a land lover? Well, go live on a floating city.

Being normal is so 20th century. :smile:

2. me1

me1 Well-Known Member

Those earthships are great!

3. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

Everything is made out of recycled products now. Pretty soon America is going to have to invade some country and "liberate" its non-biodegradable plastics :biggrin:

Seriously though most people in the world apart from these hippies havnt got the time or the funds to do stuff like this, i doubt its going to make much of a difference. And theres no fucking way youd get me living out in the desert in one of those things.

4. incombustible2000

incombustible2000 Well-Known Member

nova scotia is a good small townish place to live lots of nature, and wild life... and friendly people

5. Given that a small percentage of the world population own a vast majority of the world's wealth - and will continue to line their own pockets with the almighty dollar, profit being the name of the game - any step towards sustainability, no matter how well-meant, is a pipe dream.

(A study by the World Institute for Development Economics Research at United Nations University reports that the richest 1% of adults alone owned 40% of global assets in the year 2000, and that the richest 10% of adults accounted for 85% of the world total. The bottom half of the world adult population owned barely 1% of global wealth - WIKIPEDIA)

Affluent countries are not willing to give up ANYTHING in terms of living standards, and so we will continue to CONSUME as we create most of the world's pollution and garbage, which spreads everywhere. Global warming and all its consequences will affect poorer countries far harder. Even the summit in Bali last week, though nearly unanimous in its goals (aside from the US - as always) to reduce greenhouse gases is but a mere drop in the bucket. For as I said, we're not willing to give anything up...

In the meantime, those poorer countries struggle desperately and aspire to achieve the very same standards that the affluent are in possession of, which are so detrimental - and as they grow into our example, will also add to the world's environmental woes.

Those of you who think your recycling efforts are your best contribution - accounts for only THREE PERCENT of all the garbage that is produced and ends up in landfills. Take a good (objective) look around you, merely at and inside your home right now, at all that surrounds you - all the "stuff" you cherish and/or covet - ALL of it will be garbage one day. Now, multiply that by your neighbourhood, your city, your province, your country...! Think of and take inventory of all the chemicals you use in your home - they don't go away (there is no such thing as "away" as our world is a finite sphere). Think of all the chemicals used to produce the things you consume/use - pesticides and hormones in your food --- countless plastics that are produced from fossil fuel by-products. Think of ALL you buy - and have bought - and throw away (!there's that word again)!) without a second thought. Think of all the forests that are clear-cut for the wood used to produce your furniture, books, magazines - think of all the chemical by-products and effluence created by these countless powerful ignorant industries each and every day...

Various cultures that have in fact lived QUITE in harmony with the environment/nature for centuries have been thought of as savages and primitive - and their wise ways have all but been wiped out after they were ridiculed and persecuted. Natives living in what we now call north america for instance think in terms of "the seventh generation" --- who do you know now that considers and implements such thinking?? Do you??

For the most part, we are a hopeless race - and race is no pun - as we literally rush towards our own end. Our demise is inevitable, and some of us - precious few - are already studying and seeing signs. The rest live in oblivion.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    - George Bernard Shaw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.