Antiquities Friend
SF Supporter
Local news report here: Video

Local media: SWAT team busts into house over student loan default

Posted on 06.8.11
By Sahil Kapur
Categories: Featured, Nation

Update: Dept. of Education denies that the warrant was about a loan default

Acting on orders from the U.S. Department of Education, a S.W.A.T. team broke into a California home Tuesday at 6 a.m. and roughed up a man — because of his estranged wife’s defaulted student loans, ABC News10 reported. She wasn’t there.

Yet, Kenneth Wright of the city of Stockton was grabbed by the neck by handcuffed before he and his three young children were put in a police car as the officers searched his house, he told ABC News10. He said he was in his underwear the whole time.

“They busted down my door for this. It wasn’t even me,” Wright told the local news station. “All I want is an apology for me and my kids and for them to get me a new door.”

Local police were reportedly not involved in the incident.

UPDATE: The Department of Education emailed Raw Story with a comment from spokesman Justin Hamilton to say the search warrant and raid were related to a criminal investigation, not a student loan default. The ABC affiliate has yanked its story that made the now seemingly false claim.

“While it was reported in local media that the search was related to a defaulted student loan, that is incorrect. This is related to a criminal investigation. The Inspector General’s Office does not execute search warrants for late loan payments,” Hamilton said. “Because this is an ongoing criminal investigation, we can’t comment on the specifics of the case.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Prinnctopher's Belt

Antiquities Friend
SF Supporter
Yeah, because the Department of Education has the authority to authorize SWAT team searches and seizes and arrests in criminal investigations. Lol. B-O-L-O-G-N-A

Mr. Goldstein

I wish the SWAT would accidentally break into my house and put two bullets in my chest (it happens quite often: police breaking in the wrong house and confusing things like a banana for a real gun). I heard a police officer say that double-tap is the preferred shooting method. I doubt I would feel any pain.

Craig

Banned Member
I guess thats the media for you. I actually dont even consider FOX News a news show at this point. Their more of a twisted reality TV show. Its allways funny when they say something about their 'live video' and you remeber seeing it a week ago on another new station.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00