Swimming/Surfing/Sun Batbing

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Twocky61, May 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

When on the beach which do you prefer to do:

Swimming

Surfing

Sunbathing

I do none of those as my self harming scars are prominent which make me self conscious - normally there is not an issue as all my scarring I can cover with clothing

So those of you who self harm as i do is it an issue when on the beach or at the swimming pool?

2. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

None actually. I prefer to walk from one side of the beach to the other side or until I get tired. The cool breeze helps me to get cool and reflect on my thoughts. Sometimes it's very calming just walking and watching the waves float in the sunsets.

3. CD110

CD110 Well-Known Member

Swimming. Can't surf, and hate the heat.

4. AnaNg

AnaNg Antiquities Friend

Swimming! I love the water and being around it and immersed in it is such a calming and relaxing thing for me. At this point, my self injury scars are pretty well faded so I don't really think about them much. When they were newer though, I was very self conscious about them and would wear swimsuits that had a skirt (my scars are all on my thighs) or some other kind of cover up that I didn't mind getting wet. I also did the whole towel around my waist thing when getting in and out of the water. I didn't really care so much about random strangers seeing the scars as much as my parents.

This summer I'm actually looking forward to wearing a suit that shows off my thighs because I got my first ever tattoo over Christmas and it's on my left thigh just above where my faded scars are. It's actually a celebration of the fact that I've been self-injury free for over four years now and as a way of having something positive to look at other than my scars.

~Ana

5. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I love to swim, but the last time I was at the beach, I was warned by a lifeguard about the rip tide, and how, if I was caught up in it, I should just swim with it until I'm out. That scared me to the point of not doing a lot of swimming in the ocean. My second choice would be walking, even though it wasn't one of your options. I love walking along the beach!!

6. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

None. I just like sitting and watching the waves roll in. Listen to them, smell the sea, feel the breeze.

7. souncide

souncide Well-Known Member

The last time I went to the beach was in 2007, and I don't think I'll be there again anytime soon. If I ever go to a beach again, I'll probably go by night.

8. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

I like to swim but only in manufactured swimming pool. Swimming in live waters with all manner of plantlife and creatures contained therein creeps me out a bit.

I prefer cool temperatures over warm so beach is not something i do when given the opportunity. I like being out on a pier better. Like walking on the pier in White Rock, BC on a cool cloudy day is nice feeling for me. Boats are also very enjoyable to me.

Back on topic of swimming, I do also have the issue of visible self harm scars. That is not a problem if I am swimming by myself. It is a problem if a family member or something wants to swim with me. None of my family know about my past in regards to self harm.

9. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Swimming, though I mostly just wade in the water.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.