Switzerland considers legalizing incest.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Mortal Moon, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...tzerland-considers-repealing-incest-laws.html

So what do you think? Most people, for whatever reason, find the very idea of incest supremely icky (although I don't happen to), but obviously "being totally grossed out" is not really a good basis for sound jurisprudence.

The strongest counterargument I can think of is the increased risk of genetic defects, but there are plenty of current examples of non-closely-related couples who are at similar (or even worse) risk, but who may still legally have sex and bear children. And at any rate, prohibitions of this type have a notoriously unpalatable recent history, which we would do well to learn from. Also, needless to say, sex does not always equate to procreation.

Another minor quibble: how do we define "closely related?" Every member of this forum is a cousin to every other member. Every sexual act is incestuous, for a sufficiently broad definition of the term. If an arbitrary line needs to be drawn (and I would argue it doesn't), how do we go about determining what it is?

Anyway, I'd like to hear what the rest of you think.

EDIT: I also want to emphasize that we're only talking about relationships between consenting adults, since the concepts of incest and child molestation are frequently conflated.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2010
  2. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

You can do it, just PLEASE don't tell me about it.

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I don't think the government belongs in the bedroom, and I don't think many people should be allowed to reproduce in any case (but again, the government has no place determining that).

4. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

do the maths, work out how many ancestors you have dating back to only the 13th century and you would theoretically have more ancestors than how many humans have ever existed at that point in time.......we are all related to some degree and who am i to pass judgement on others who are in love despite the situation between consenting adults.

Surely people can see it as less vile than war. yet we all carry on while children are being killed daily!

whatever floats there boat, as long as they aint harming anyone and fully undertand the ramifications of inbreeding!

Why do we always have to butt into other peoples lives....einstein married his cousin!
    As long as children are being protected and its between sound minded consensual adults and its not affecting others then whats the deal with it?

Just remember we were as a species once rarer than the mountain gorrila's are nowadays, then cont how many people there are today......

5. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

I cant really get behind this.
    Perhaps its just the social conditioning but I just cannot see my family as candidates for any kind of relationship like that I have with my girlfriend.

And while I realise the big difference between legalising and encouraging an activity I cant back a law which effectively endangers children to a future with preventable birth defects.

6. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

People with birth defects in their genetics breed all the time. Why are they allowed to reproduce?

And you can't see your family as candidates - what about other men? Should homosexuality be banned because you can't find the attraction?

7. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

To say the least I don't like my family.

I have no idea why but I just don't feel connected with them in anyway. But maybe that's depression speaking, I dunno.

If it's between two consenting adults I don't really mind it. If it makes them happy, then who cares.

8. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

From a standpoint of principle it should be legalized despite that I personally find it reprehensible.

9. Entoloma43

Entoloma43 Well-Known Member

The government has no business telling with whom or for which reasons an individual can have sex (aslong as it's consenting adults, of course).

10. Morgana

Morgana Well-Known Member

Hmm. The problem I have is that even though they have to be consenting adults, I have a hard time believing that a parent/child relationship would ever be equal. I think the power balance would always be off because of the relationship in the past. If you want to do it, fine, I don't want to know...but I also don't really think it should be legalized.

Then again, I'm probably extremely biased because I'm a victim of it the wrong way. So... :rolleyes:

11. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

That's a fair point. I think an unequal "balance of power" due to a previous relationship can occur in many romantic situations: people coming from different socioeconomic classes, or wildly different age groups, or employer-employee relationships, etc. Heck, you might even argue that due to social and biological gender roles, all heterosexual relationships are inherently unbalanced to some degree. All these things can DEFINITELY cause problems down the road that those involved need to be keenly aware of. Nevertheless, as long as it's all consensual, I have a hard time telling any of those people that they can't legally have the relationship with each other that they want to have.

12. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

And then add in BDSM and you'll never figure out exactly how the power flows.

13. houseofcards

houseofcards Well-Known Member

I personally wouldn't be with anybody in my family, but sometimes you never know if you're related to somebody until it's too late. If you were adopted and end up screwing your sister and find out she's your sister maybe a year or so later, who is to say that you HAVE to stop seeing her? Even for people that already know - love is love. If they're willing to go through the negative stigma there is and be aware of the genetic disposition their children can be in, why not?

14. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

If my body could produce a baby and I masturbated to make it so, would that be incest?

Since having a baby requires two people... and incest requires two people right?

So what happens when two people become one? A woman? Hypothetical.

15. Euphoria

Euphoria Member

You have to be completly demente to have sex with your own daughter or father or mother or whatever. Anyone having sex with their offspring is just...well pathetic.

16. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

but that alone does not give us the right to tell them what to do

17. Euphoria

Euphoria Member

Never said it did

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.