Swollen skin after I self-harm

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Nicole_O91, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole_O91

Nicole_O91 Active Member

On Friday night, I cut my right thigh, which is where I normally cut myself. I think it was 5 or 6 cuts, but nothing too deep. Enough to bleed for about 20 minutes or so, but nothing terrible. Anyway, at the time, it swelled up but I thought it was just, you know, what happens when you cut yourself. Anyway, it's been 2 days now and it's still swollen. It's a sort of hard lump. Sorry, I know that sounds horrid.
    Has this ever happened to anyone else? Any advice?

2. cownes

cownes Well-Known Member

yh, it happens to me, is it red as well?? you need to try and keep it clean, the hardness may be scar tissue if you do it in the same place over and over again.

3. Nicole_O91

Nicole_O91 Active Member

No, it's not red at all. Well other than the actual cuts, but the skin itself isn't inflamed. After I did it, I cleaned my cuts and put plasters (band aids) on them. I did the same again the next morning, then again this morning.

4. cownes

cownes Well-Known Member

if u do it in the same area over and over again, it is more than likely to be scare tissue, have you ever tought about getting help to stop cutting??

5. Nicole_O91

Nicole_O91 Active Member

Yeah, I've thought about it. But I don't think just STOPPING would work for me. I think just trying to do it less? I don't know, I have cut down a great deal. I've had times when I've been cutting every single day, for weeks. Currently, I'd say I do it maybe every 5 or 6 weeks?

6. Clockwork Reality

Clockwork Reality Well-Known Member

The only thing that comes to mind is the possibilty of infection. Is the site puffy at all, and is there a discharge of pus? I know it sounds gross, but both are sure signs that the wound has been infected. Hydrogen peroxide should be able to take care of surface infection, but if there's infection deep down you may need to seek medical attention. I encourage you to seek help for your cutting regardless.

7. Rose24

Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

If the swelling started to occur within just few hours of you self harming it is likely to be inflammation caused by chemical hormone messengers called prostaglandins-these produce pain, fever and inflammation and are a result of white blood cells flooding the injured site to minimize the damage. The swelling should go down by its self in a few days but you can take an anti inflammatory drug such as ibuprofen or aspirin to aid it.

However as Clockwork Reality has said, if there is any sort of coloured discharge then you may have an infection. Whilst an antiseptic like hydrogen peroxide or detol is good at keeping wounds clean you may need a course of antibiotics and should really go see a Dr to stop the infection spreading. You do sound like you take care of your cuts so I don’t see why you should have an infection but it’s difficult to tell without having a look. If you are covering then straight after washing them out it may be that they aren’t being aired long enough to clot properly perhaps making them susceptible to infection anyway.

Rose

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.