Tablets

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Abacus21, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

I have, for the past few years, found it very hard to take tablets. Whether with water, fizzy drink or whatever - any real sort of liquid, I can rarely swallow the tablet..

Now, as I have a rather irritating headache, I've had enough of not being able to take paracetamol / nurofen and whatnot. Any tips on how to take tablets (bearing in mind that the 'Put tablet on tongue, gulp water and swallow' technique very rarely works with me).

Ta.

2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Could you wrap it in bread? and chew a bit and swallow? That's ok if it's not a capsule.

3. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I know this sounds over simplified, but I give my mother several oversized tabs and I found it best to chop them in 1/2 or 1/4 for the extra large ones. Using a sharp knife usually prevents them from falling into tiny pieces.

4. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Hm ... the problem is, Scum - is that it's paracetamol, and that tastes absolutely horrible when it's broken open.. Will give your idea a go, shades ... :)

5. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

Joe, you need to buy some calpol, the 6plus stuff :tongue: Is liquid paracetamol for kids!! Tastes yummy :wink:

6. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Thank you, Hazel :tongue:

7. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

Joe - like I told you last time :tongue: , Nurofen Lemon Meltlets. They taste LOVELY and work quickly.

As for tonight, try Shades idea of cutting them into pieces - usually works for me :smile: Never take paracetamol with something fizzy because it makes them bubble in your mouth and start to dissolve. Personally I find milk is the easiest thing to take them with.

Hope you get it sorted :smile: :wub:

8. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

I struggle putting the water in first then taking the tablet. I do it the other way around, put the tablet towards the back of my mouth then swig on the water and just gulp it down. I guess it differs for many, perhaps in meantime you could try the liquid stuff already mentioned.

9. JBird

JBird Well-Known Member

i heard sex is a good way to get rid of a headache. no idea where i heard it from.

10. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

Orgasms help get rid of pain :yes:

11. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

ha!! that made me giggle. U fucking perv :laugh:

12. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

oh u perv :O

never heard of soluble :p

13. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

There are exercises which desensitize the mouth/trach to taking pills...let me know if you are interested, sweetie

14. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

I take tablets in a different order than this. I put the water in my mouth first, close my mouth, then poke the tablet into my mouth and swallow. This way the tablet rarely ever gets stuck at the back of my throat, on my tongue or on the roof of my mouth. Just make sure it's good sized amount of water and you'll barely notice it going down.

15. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

i cant barely take tablets either, what i do is take a large mouthful of whatever i want to wash the tablet down with and then skillfully squeeze the tablet through my pursed lips and then tilt my head right back and swallow.

it usually works.

16. crookxshanks

crookxshanks Well-Known Member

i have to take an awful lot of tablets but i find that when i cant that if i stroke my neck slowly downwards after taking it it normally helps. apparently the action is actually helping the tablet to go down. i hope that it works for you as well x

17. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I swallow them the way Resistance does. Sometimes if you try taking them with something else you forget it is a tablet and it goes right down. Your best bet is the liquid version though.

18. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Joe, I'm late with this reply, so first, I hope you're feeling better already!

Coated, flavorless tablets or pills, I put on my tongue and just wash them down with a full glass of water (as if the only thing I'm doing is having a glass of water). For tablets that "taste icky," I curl my tongue and pop the tablet into the curl (less contact with tongue, less taste) and drink a full glass of water.

Hmmm, if you need to take two tabs, two full glasses of water might be a lot to get down all at once. See if half a glass will work? Or, if you can, take both tabs at the same time so you drink only one full glass of water.

19. mixedemotions

mixedemotions Forum Buddy

Snort it!

lol

I dont know if it will work tho lol

20. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Thanks everyone for your responses ... will give some of the methods a try. In the end, I cut it up into half and swallowed them that way...

And no Jane, I don't really want to try snorting tablets, ta!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.