Taco Bell sued for false advertisement of its "ground beef"

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Prinnctopher's Belt, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

– 12 mins ago

MONTGOMERY, Ala. – Taco Bell officials deny claims made in a lawsuit that the meat in their tacos and other products is not all beef.

Taco Bell President Greg Creed said Tuesday in a statement that the lawyers who filed the lawsuit got their facts wrong. He says Taco Bell plans to take legal action against those making the allegations though he didn't specify what the company would do.

A lawsuit filed Friday by the Alabama law firm Beasley, Allen, Crow, Methvin, Portis & Miles claims Taco Bell is engaging in false advertising because the meat mixture contains binders and fillers.

Creed said that Taco Bell buys the same brands of beef sold in supermarkets. He said the beef is simmered in a blend of seasonings.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110125/ap_on_bi_ge/us_taco_bell_lawsuit

Taco Bell's TACO MEAT FILLING: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...1629583373563_1055964716_31453922_43910_n.jpg

the USDA defines ground beef as:

"Chopped fresh and/or frozen beef with or without seasoning and without the addition of beef fat as such, shall not contain more than 30 percent fat, and shall not contain added water, phosphates, binders..., or extenders."

Yep. False advertising.

2. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

Most of what is served in fast food restaurants I don't consider food but cardiotoxic and addictive garbage. Taco Bell has some of the healthiest choices with many items loaded with beans and vegetables though you can't avoid extremely high levels of sodium.

Looking at the ingredients in Taco Bell's "meat filling" it does seems to be bending the definition of ground beef. It is a shame that so incredibly much sodium is in most fast food which causes high blood pressure in many people.

3. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

I wish Australia had Taco Bell. I've had tacos and find that they are a heavy meal already, I'd love to try the franchised version. I don't think that'll be happening again any time soon though. Maybe I should just make some tacos, add extra cheese and salt, and buy a chihuahua.

4. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

The meat in that picture looks vile, that does not look like proper meat.
    This is why i rarely eat out!

5. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

All this processed stuff is C.R.A.P. for your body.

Anyway we shouldn't create so much suffering to other beings and thats why I have become a veggie!

6. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

Even as a veggie you cause suffering to other beings.... People like me get paid to hunt to protect your crops, theres no escaping death, even the paper you use, the young trees are protected by shooting deer, rabbits etc

7. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

LOL your right!

Everything you do in life has repercussions to other beings and/or the planet. For me its the knowing that I in all consciousness try to minimize the negative ones as much as I possibly can! Probably plants are much more complex beings than we give them credit for but then for me to subsist I have to ingest the protein, vitamins, minerals that are necessary to keep me alive.

The only way of not affecting our environment is by not existing and as I did not choose to be brought to this life, I can not be responsible for my existence, I can only take responsibility for what I do while im alive.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2011
  8. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Also millions of animals are killed every harvest when a carbine runs them down.

9. Socialman

Socialman Well-Known Member

I always told my dad the meat at taco bell tasted like it was watered down grade Z ground beef. I'm not surprised.

10. TimmyP

TimmyP Well-Known Member

i think its hilarious that taco bell is trying to defend their so-called beef. anybody that has seen it, touched it, or tasted it knows damn-well it's not even close to ground beef. i would call it a paste. i'll still eat it tho. i have no self-respect.

11. peacelovingguy

peacelovingguy Well-Known Member

True that some are killed, but its a poor argument all the same.

I mean, what rabbit is going to not actually see and hear a massive cutting machine?

Also, at least those animals are killed whilst living free. They have a chance.

The BEST meat to eat is game meat. Shoot a rabbit and its quick and the dog will bring it to you so you can dispatch it. The taste differs from some factory chicken selling at 2 dollars or something.

Same with deer, wild pigs or game birds.

The meat grown by big commercial companies is unhealthy.

In fact, even the veg and salad might be just as bad health wise. Wash it well or grow it yourself. In the UK we can start off the tomatoes and salads indoors in preparation for the spring.

Americans should be outdoors people, strolling with the gun to shop for dinner, not lining up in Walmart.

12. kyle88

kyle88 Well-Known Member

35% beef.

65% awesome.

Taco Bell.

13. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

Where was the FDA? how long has this been going on?

This is why these corporate vampires must be regulated.

14. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

They often do see it but being rabbits they take the normal course of action which is to huddle down into their "seat" and hope the large machine doesnt see them, by time they have a chance to run they are often mowed down.

Its this huddling down reaction that means i can get within a couple of yards of a rabbit with my dog before flushing the game to be coursed.

But i do agree that game is the best meat

15. TimmyP

TimmyP Well-Known Member

16. Isabel

Isabel Staff Alumni

Its debatable. Meat from animals which have been raised lovingly and respectfully, on pasture, on small farms and killed in a human way can be pretty darn good. I can attest of that. It is at least comparable. The hunters who manage to do a clean kill most of the time are far and few in between. There is a bunch a drunken and/or idiots with a gun who take a shot when they should not. Then you have a suffering, terrorized animal running while bleeding to death only to die in a bush many hours later. Every Fall we have the invasion of the townies with a gun looking to bag their deer. We don't allow people to hunt on our land, outside of a few friends from the community who are very experienced and respectful of the game.

17. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

Hunters who are irresponsible are few and far between, do not by any account make the assertion that the majority of hunters are irresponsible! I come from a hunting background and know hundreds of hunters and have been hunting with many many people. Also you dont even take into consideration the different hunting methods. How can i slowly kill a rabbit when i do it with my bare hands, the rabbit hits the net and i dispatch it by severing its spinal cord myself. I only ever shoot as a last resort, and when i do shoot its a case of only shooting when you feel certain of a clean shot, if not you dont pull the trigger. On the rare occassion that a rabbit isnt fatally shot, the dog goes and picks it up within seconds, that is why you dont shoot rabbits near their warrens, so they dont go to ground injured.
    My dog doesnt kill the rabbits either, she brings them to me with no damage to the rabbit where i dispatch them myself.
    In my time hunting and having killed literally thousands of animals i have only ever went for clean kills. Hunting is a very "professional sport" and anyone being stupid gets a bad name very quick, farmers wont let them on the land and they end up with no sport.
    As for larger game, its simply a matter of perfect shot or dont shoot.
    Responsible hunters by far make up the majority, the idiots out there just manage to give us a bad name

18. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

On the note of irresponsible hunter I watched a video recently where a deer was shot with one of those .50 cal Barret anti material rifles. I was astounded to see it run a good few hundred yards before collapsing. Quite how any creature can manage that is beyond me and how someone could get anything less than an instant kill with that is astounding.

19. Isabel

Isabel Staff Alumni

Hawk, not in my experience as a land owner populated by deers, and as somebody who lived a fair chunk of her life in moose hunting country. Nothing like hearing a bullet flying by at less than 50 feet to remind you of all the gun totting irresponsible out there. You might be a very ethical hunter, but there is just more than the one occasional rotten apple. In my community the nuisance hunters have become such a problem that 90% of the community bars them from their land. Horses shot, dogs shot, livestock shot, cant hike without a orange vest, dress all the pets with orange vest from September to November...And I wont get into picking their beer cans and other trash all over the place.

20. Julia-C

Julia-C Well-Known Member

Taco Bell is my comfort food. If the government gets involved in limiting, changing, and regulating my comfort food. I am going to spaz out!!!!:blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.