Tag Limits

Dante

Git
SF Pro
SF Supporter
There seems to currently be a tag limit of 8 per post (although that seems to vary) before the tags simply dont work, though I have been tagged in a post with only about 4 tags there and I didn't receive any notification. It makes inviting all the regulars of Jim's Cafe very difficult. So far I have been posting 8 posts of tags for each cafe, but I just went through March to find all the people who enjoy Jim's Cafe and added the to a "Master List" and it will now take 11 posts *facepalm

I dont want to exclude people, (and I intend to put a section at the bottom of my Jim's Cafes offering to take people off my list if they dont want to be on it anymore to avoid spamming people) but at the same time, its getting to be one of the most arduous parts of posting a Cafe. Not wanting to exclude anyone but also not wanting to spend so long posting tags is kind of offputting.

Is there any way to try to fix this tag issue? Or if it is an intentional limit so that people cant abuse tags by just tagging everyone to get attention, could it be relaxed on the Jim's Cafe thread at least?

Auri

đŸŽžđŸŽ¶Metal StarđŸŽ”đŸ„
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Hey Dante. :) The tag limit is not intentional and no one really knows why they don’t work when there are too many - so unfortunately it can’t be fixed.

Apart from this limit, there are other potential reasons why you wouldn’t be notified. I believe copy/pasting tags doesn’t properly reference them all the time. Also if someone adds a tag when editing a post, the person won’t get notified.

I understand not wanting to exclude anyone, it’s very nice of you to already open the cafĂ© and to take the time to tag some people, but it is not a requirement at all, so please don’t burn yourself out. *hug

Also, while there are people who visit the CafĂ© regularly and don’t “need” to be tagged, it’s worth inviting newer members to make them feel welcome and perhaps distract for a minute or give them a reason to come back to SF. But this is NOT a requirement, just a suggestion. ;) Everyone seriously appreciates you and others reviving the CafĂ© and making it such a great place.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Thanks for the reply @Auri Can't really add much ty that.
Hi Dante
The tag thing is built into the software and while we can toggle it higher we've found it gets even more messed up when you go over 10 tags. Most forums have a limit of 10 tags and while you CAN add an infinite amount of people, they just get so mixed up and flaky there's no way to know who will get them.

And yes, we know that tags are a bit messed up overall. It's just something that's not perfect within the xenforo software. But changing this platform to something else because of the few small flaws like this isn't feasible without paying a lot more for it.

People are still quite happy to be tagged -- new people and current users alike. It's great that you open the cafe. Don't even feel pressured to tag anyone! Current people know there will be a cafe open every day (and if there isn't they know to either open one themselves or just go back into yesterday's). Thanks for being a great friend here and doing what you can. (Sincerely)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00