Taken steps to stop. *possibly triggering*

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by NPNS, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NPNS

NPNS Well-Known Member

I've decided that I really NEED to stop cutting... I'm running out of places without scars.

After an incredibly bad night on New Year's Eve and ending up bleeding for several hours, I've had enough of this shit!

I've thrown away all of my razors. Every last one. I've even gotten rid of my leg shavers. *sigh* I hope that my scars will eventually fade enough that I will be able to wear short sleeves again, but I think that's going to take a long time yet.

Does anybody have any other ways that helped them stop?

Thanks all
    :hug:

2. Denikin

Denikin Well-Known Member

Solve your problems, maybe?

3. Epical Taylz

Epical Taylz Well-Known Member

I don't know how you could stop...
    Maybe you could help me.

Wishing you luck
    Taylor

4. NPNS

NPNS Well-Known Member

:hug:

Tried the rubber band thing? (Putting it round your wrist and snapping it when you feel an urge) x

5. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

It's good that your gonna stop cutting.

As for ideas, try to keep your self occupied especially when the urges come around. Watch a movie, play some video games, chat online, read a book, etc.

6. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

as for good ideas, i'm kind of all out
    i try and distract myself, but really i can only do that if i'm talking to someone.
    i just wanted to say that rubber band snapping isn't really such a great way
    it just creates other ways of hurting yourself

good luck hun :heart:
    laura x

7. Epical Taylz

Epical Taylz Well-Known Member

Yeah I've done the rubber band thing
    My friend suggested trying to cut with a red pen, that way it would look like it'd be bleeding but it didn't help.

Sorry I'm turning this thread to focus on me, sorry :'[

8. Speck

Speck Well-Known Member

Well done for stopping, you took a big step in throwing all away.
    There are so many methods out there for stopping you from doing things but each person is different and often takes people a whole lot of trial and error to find what works for them. In the meantime keep talking as people really do understand and want to support you both x

9. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

From experience, the rubber band thing and stopping cold turkey both don't work too well, because you cave in after a while. Taking away what you use to cut with when you're not ready isn't necessarily a good thing. As you probably know, when you get an urge, you become desperate and use anything that you can get your hands on.

You need to work out why you cut, before you even think about stopping. Then you can use the knowledge to help find positive coping strategies that work for you. I hope you manage to stop - keep us updated, if you can.

TDM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.