Taking a turn for the worse

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by HeartBrokenAgain, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've had a real bad afternoon. Just spent the last hour on the floor shaking and crying, i've been vomiting contantly and dont know whats happening to me. I have contacted nhs direct for a call back as i need some help, after 3 weeks of pain it is meant to be getting better not worse. I have to work tomorrow in a strssfull job, i know now i need to get help, i am not feeling suicidal and am scared of the reprocusions from people knowing what i am going through but i cant face going out, i cant concentrate, am i having a nervous breakdown? what will happen to me if i see a doctor tomorrow? what will he do? is it just a case of take one of these each morning or does it get more serious? i'm so in a bad place i have no idea what to do.
  2. peacelovingguy

peacelovingguy Well-Known Member

Your not alone - many people go through the same thing but at least you are prepared to see a doctor.

In the UK you might be able to make an appointment by the phone tonight if they have an automatic system.

What happens is you will see a GP - they will usually prescribe some anti-depressant and maybe give you the option of counselling, but only 6 sessions at first.

More than likely you will take some anti depressants and they will 'kick in' after a week or so - its not like a pill that works right away like some E or something! But the chemistry involved really does help a lot of people.

You may get some other medical tests in case you have some medical condition or other.

As for a nervous breakdown, I'm not sure but I'm guessing that you should ask the doc for a few weeks off to see if the anti depressants make it better.

Hopefully they will give you a bit of time to assess your life without the panic or the lack of concentration.

As for what other people think, Winston Churchill had a bad depression, so anyone mocking depression is actually an idiot. A first class idiot.

Good luck with the docs. Don't worry about being embarrassed as GPs hear about mental stress issues all the time. They don't judge you - and if you say you are feeling the way you feel then he or she will have to sign you off work. Depending on the job you ought to have some rights and a doctors note covers you.

Get to the docs - tell him or her the issues and you then can come back here to read up on the anti depression pills you get and what to expect.

Good luck from the UK also!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2011
  3. Screaminginsilence

Screaminginsilence Well-Known Member

My GP referred me to our crisis team, got a call an hour after my doctors appointment and saw the crisis team that night - perhaps ask if you local NHS has a similar system?

Call the samaritans - its daunting if you've never done it before but what have you got to loose

I understand how your feeling, i always tell myself i will feel better in the morning

But if you really do feel at the end of your teather then please reach out for help

Your doctor will help decide the best course of action for you, when i saw mine i was worried about what could happen, but if you feel that low then surely the only way is up

Good luck - let us know how you get on x x
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.