Talentless

Discussion in 'Poet's Corner' started by TheLoneWolf, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

Once upon a time
    I was a decent writer

But then I became depressed,
    and my writing became cynical;

I started using alcohol,
    and my writing became dumb;

I started smoking pot,
    and my writing became...
    wait, what was I talking about?

Iusedstimulantsandmywritingbecamefrantic

I
    used halluc
    inogens and m
    y writing be
    came
    ecc
    entric
    ecc
    lectic
    and nonsen
    sical

I quit drugs and alcohol, and my writing became overly serious.

I took college courses, and my writing became educated
    but boring;

I dropped out of college and took a dead end job,
    and my writing became
    nonexistent...

I thought I might start writing again,
    but I realized that I have nothing left to write about.
    If ever there was any talent in this mind, in these hands,
    it has long since passed.

I write now only to pass the time,
    and to reflect on a better time,
    a time when I still had talent
    and a life worth writing about.

2. Sais

Sais Well-Known Member

I like your poems, this is a decent one, honestly. And I like your cynical writing, that's why I became a fan of your diary! Keep on writing!

3. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

If you're so talentless, why did I enjoy this so much, and all of your other poetry? So that must mean you have a lot of talent :biggrin:

4. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I love your writing wolf..that's why I follow your posts..you have a way with words and usually make me smile
    perhaps you don't see what we see :arms:

5. Lps

Lps Well-Known Member

Hey LW,

I didnt' know you're a writer! Ah, smart funny people are always traumatized. i think it's almost the price of admission. Who's your favorite writers?

6. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Wolfie, this poem is excellent

7. TheLoneWolf

Wow... dang, guys, thanks. I didn't think it was that good, in fact I started to regret writing it... but I guess it couldn't be that bad if you guys liked it.

Sais, thank you :) Oh God, please don't read my diary, lol... nah, it's okay, if I wanted it to be hidden, I would have made it hidden... I just figured it sounded like a bunch of drunken, miserable ranting.

Christy, thank you, that means a lot coming from a talented writer like yourself. :)

IV, you're right, I don't see what you see... I guess that's how it is with writers though. A lot of writers hate their own work. But as long as others are willing to read it, I will continue to write whatever comes to mind. :)

Lps, yes and no... yes, I do write, but no, I wouldn't call myself a 'writer' per se... I have been writing stories, essays, poetry, etc., for most of my life actually. I haven't written very much in the last decade - I think the last time I wrote regularly was back in 2003. I am just now picking it up again as a hobby of sorts. Smart and funny may be a bit of an overstatement, but I'll take it. :) I agree with you, most talented and creative people have suffered. I think it might have something to do with them being more in tune with their thoughts, the fact that pouring oneself into one's work is cathartic, and that many tortured souls find comfort and escape in the dream worlds that they create in their own minds.

As for my favorite writers, it's so hard for me to pick favorites... I never really have a good answer for when people ask me what my favorite anything is, because there are too many to choose from. I don't read nearly as much as I used to, unfortunately... the most recent book I read was The Art of Fielding, by Chad Harbach... EXCELLENT book, I highly recommend it. I think many here would be able to relate to the plights of the different characters... I saw a bit of myself in several of them, and I shared their pain. Otherwise, I like a wide variety of stuff... poetry, short stories, novels, science fiction, fantasy, comedy, horror... too many good writers to list... I'm a big fan of Shakespeare, actually... oh, another notable book that I enjoyed, not recently, it was many years ago when I read it, but it was one of the last books I read before I kind of stopped reading regularly... Infinite Jest, by David Foster Wallace. It's a huge book and a bit of a strange read, but compelling nonetheless... and the author has since unfortunately committed suicide, which goes back to the theme of being brilliant but traumatized.

Sadeyes, thank you... I actually thought it was rather terrible, lol, but I am sometimes my own worst critic.

8. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

:stars:

9. vir

vir Well-Known Member

One thing that I've always noticed is that I like to read the writing of people who have experienced interesting things. I think that actually being in a compelling situation gives you a perspective and authenticity that is lacking in people who don't have that experience. One of my favorite novels, for example, is Shantaram, by Gregory David Roberts.

With your poem, you've showed your genuine feelings that stem from using drugs and trying to be a writer, and those feelings show. You should go have some awesome, dangerous, heart-pounding adventure, and then write about that. I suspect your writing would greatly improve.

10. TheLoneWolf

I've had plenty of dangerous, heart-pounding moments in my life... though not of the good sort. The poems I've posted here so far only scratch the surface of what I've been through... much of the rest is buried deep down and I don't really care to resurrect it - though unleashing my inner demons probably would improve my writing, I can assure you it would not be worth the cost... to me or to those around me. There's a reason I turned to drugs and alcohol... to quiet those demons. Most of them have been out of my life for years now, and I don't care to ever hear from them again.

11. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

A poem titled "Talentless" - how ironic that it reflects great talent with words that describe feelings and experiences. I loved what you did with the disjointed words/phrases for when you turned to substances. That was clever and added dimension and a sense of experiencing the writer's (your!) experience/feelings.

You are not "talentless" my dear Wolf - far from it! Please keep posting as I enjoy reading your works.

12. vir

vir Well-Known Member

If you've experienced any sort of cognitive decline due to drugs or alcohol abuse, or even age-related cognitive decline, there is a class of drugs called racetams that have been successfully used by many people to counteract that. In the US, you can buy them right off ebay, or from certain stores that sell vitamin supplements. I've recently discovered that they significantly improve my cognitive function and my writing ability. Well, at least one does anyway. I've tried three different ones, piracetam, aniracetam, and noopept. Noopept seems to be the most effective, and you don't have to take as much. These drugs have extremely low toxicity (everything has some toxicity, even water), with virtually no drug interactions. I take 30-40 mg of noopept twice a day, in the morning and in the mid-afternoon. I barely even notice the effect, but I can notice the difference in my quality of writing.

13. TheLoneWolf

I thank you Acy, though I assure you, I used to be a better writer. Maybe you read my writings and see talent - I read them and wonder what happened to the talent that I used to have. I guess it died with the rest of my former self.

14. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Wolf, depression makes us harsher critics of ourselves. We tend to think less of our present self than is true. If you believe you were better before, then you can be that good again. Maybe you're feeling "rusty" atm, and beginning to share with us is opening up your full talents again. :smile:

15. TheLoneWolf

My talent faded long ago... it actually peaked at the height of my depression, during my adolescence. It's just kind of gone downhill from there... the result of age, alcoholism, and being world weary; accepting defeat at the hands of life, accepting a meaningless existence, sacrificing my passion in exchange for comfort... I don't even recognize myself anymore. I don't know how I let it come to this. I used to be so full of life... now I'm just full of shit. This is not talent, this is a half-assed attempt to revive a part of me that has long since passed from this world. The old me is dead and gone, and the new me only thinks he can write. He's a shallow, bumbling amateur who has no business calling himself a poet, or writer, or any such thing. The old me would have put the new me to shame. I should just stick to what the new me is good at... menial labor and complacency.

16. BornFree

BornFree Well-Known Member

LoneWolf I too enjoy & value your writing
    Your candour & honesty allow the reader the rare & precious opportunity to connect with your writings. You are indeed talented & I hope the sincerity of those around you will allow you to just trust a little despite your feelings & accept this fact a little more.
    I am so sorry you have had so much pain in your life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.