Talked With My Therapist

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by ashleyneedshope29, Sep 2, 2016.

1. ashleyneedshope29

ashleyneedshope29 Active Member

Hi my name is ashley and i just spoken to my therapist today about what's going on recently and she tells me to think of positive options that will get me from a to b. Let me just say that the living situation that im in is unhealthy and toxic and i dont know how much longer i can keep living there. If anyone has any advice i would appreciate it.

2. IamTetsuo

IamTetsuo Well-Known Member

Thinking of positive outcomes is a great way to start making changes in our life. You can visualise the new life that you want, write down what you want or write from the perspective of being there and all the things you like about it. Most important is believe it, really feel it and believe that it is possible for you to make that change in your life.

Could you give a little more detail what you are dealing with at the moment?

Frances M likes this.
  3. ashleyneedshope29

yea just crap from my mother and stepfather its been building for years. My mother is controling maniplitive and treats me like a teenager even though im 29. I cant take it anymore. I would rather be on the streets then keep living in a unhealthy and toxic enviornment.

4. ashleyneedshope29

Im just not seeing the positivity that she is wanting from me because there is only 2 options to keep putting up with there shit or living on the streets and im taking the 2 option.

5. moxman

moxman Well-Known Member

I am sorry to see that you are in such a bad situation. Could your father help get your mother off of your back some?

6. ashleyneedshope29

no we dont speak

7. IamTetsuo

It's good that you are coming to a realisation and you want to make a change. I realised quite late that my family was not a healthy place! It's not a matter of blame but I know I feel much better with some distance. But you don't need to put only 2 bad options in front of you, think about how you want things to turn out. Like I said before take the time to see how you would want your life to look. Whatever small details are important or however impossible it seems.

In the meantime, I would say, try to have as much good feeling as you can to your family and don't blame them or resent them. Carrying negative feelings will just make you feel worse. You can do it.

8. moxman

moxman Well-Known Member

how many people live in the home?

Do you think if your mom and you could draw some sort of contract? Going over what she will / will not do, and what is expected of you. Do you think something like that would work for you?

Are you working anywhere? Are you in school somewhere? What is your current situation?

9. ashleyneedshope29

Im not working. as its hard for me because i have a learning disability and mental illness.I have to put my school on hold because my mom wants to be imature and not help me so i have to put it on hold.

10. moxman

moxman Well-Known Member

I understand, where you are coming from with that, my son has the same issues.

Are you able to drive? If so maybe you can volunteer somewhere; and get out of that toxic home life for a little while?

Have you applied for any type of disability; due to your learning disability and mental illness?

IamTetsuo likes this.
  11. ashleyneedshope29

yes i have been denied twice for ssi and i have finally got an attorney that is going to help me with my ssi case for the third time. Yes i do drive but only if im going to my apps or to the grocery store ect. I wouldnt mind volunteering just to get out of the house.

12. ashleyneedshope29

So ive been doing alot of thinking about what my therapist and i talked about today and I have already found a shelter close to where i live so that will be my back up just in case i cant live with my mother and stepfather anymore or if i get kicked out or if the shelter dont work out then ill just survive on the streets. Ill still have the andrew center and still be able to see my docter, therapist, and casemanager, im on food stamps so i can just walk to walmart and get something to eat or drink. So im set. Again this is just in case i cant keep living in the toxic and unhealthy enviornment with my parents or if they kick me out.

IamTetsuo likes this.
  13. IamTetsuo

Sounds like your making great progress. When you feel like you have more options the you feel less helpless and less hopeless. Volunteering sounds like a great idea if you feel that you can't get a job at the moment. Remember that it is absolutely possible for you to have a life that you enjoy and a home that you love.

14. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I think you should volunteer hun, I volunteered at 3 different places, loved all of them. Think it would motivate you and get you out of the house for a while, maybe apply online? I truly hope things start looking up for you soon and that you get your ssi (hugs) thinking of you x

15. ashleyneedshope29

I wanted to ask if i should talk to my attorney that is helping me with my ssi case. If I decide to live on the streets if my living situation continues to become unbarable.

16. moxman

moxman Well-Known Member

That is a very good question, your attorney should handle. Whenever you have a question, contact your attorney, for the best advice.

17. ashleyneedshope29

I just cant stop thinking about my decion on weather i should stay in my situation even though its unhealthy and toxic and cant take anymore or if i should leave and get out. My therapist wants me to think of positive options from getting to a to b which i feel is just fucking stupid because i only see two options 1. keep living there and put up with the shit or 2. get out. I know in my heart what i should do however on the other hand i just dont know what to do.