talking about it

Discussion in 'Rape and Abuse' started by swimmergirl, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swimmergirl

swimmergirl Well-Known Member

Why do they keep telling me that talking about it is supposed to help? I feel worse becasue I talked about it, absolutely worse. I hate this, I hate me, I hate him, i hate everything.
  2. LotusFlower

LotusFlower Antiquities Friend

I am supposed to talk about it, but I can't even bring myself to say it. I also don't understand why talking about it is supposed to make it better.
  3. Firelord

Firelord Active Member

Personally, I've always found that talking about it with the right people is what is important.

I have not been through what a lot of people on here have, all I've had to deal with is bullying and emotional abuse by students and teachers. I'm not going to try and comprehend what either you might have been through or are going through because I haven't been through it myself.

But, maybe telling you what I mean by the right person can help. The right type of person that I've always felt talking to made me feel better can be a psychiatrist, a friend, a family member, whatever. But the most important quality is that they are open minded, supportive and don't want to tell you what you did wrong, but what you can do to keep living. That tries to show you stuff in life worth living for when you can't find it yourself.

There's a lot wrong with this world, I'll be the first to admit that. But there is also a lot right. Sometimes it's hard to see. Sometimes you got to go out of your way to find it. When I was younger, after the crap I went through in school, I had to go deep into the woods to find it. There was a little river, barely fifteen feet wide with a little wooden bridge. I used to sit on it and read, write, draw, sometimes just think.

Sometimes after a really bad day, I'd go a little bit further and find more things. I remember following the river through the woods where no trail could reach and ended up realizing that further up the little river wasn't so little anymore. There was a thick canyon that it cut through, where it widened by almost fifty feet and was quite deeper. I think it was an old blasting gully because there were rocks on the bottom. I found myself getting lost in exploring every little bit of the wilderness near my house day after day. I'd spend hours outside and forget what I was so angry, sad, or distressed about, always more focused on what other little surprises were out there.

I still do it sometimes, wander into the woods around here. I always find something new to like about it.
  4. TBear

TBear Antiquities Friend

Talking about it hurts like hell

Also helps

Hard to describe, 'cause I still have a hard time with it -

It does have to be the right person - therapist, etc...

I can say it gets worse before it gets better, and that takes time...

Healing takes time, can't be rushed.... but well worth it!

When hidden the filth of the past festers, and feels as if it is something to be ashamed of
  5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hey i think with the proper therapist only you should deal with such pain. Leave the issues in the therapist office that way. I don't talk about it or think abt it unless triggered only in my therapist office that it. I really don't talk he just is able to draw the pain and sadness out somehow and i am glad he does because then it is less inside me. Get a therapist that deals with trauma okay that knows what he or she is doing. that specializes in this field
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.