Talking about this to parents is hard.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Squid, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squid

Squid Member

Today has been a really rough day for me. I was up nearly all night crying after a nasty fight with my mother and I think she suspects that I want to commit suicide. All of the yelling and fighting gave me an unbearable headache, and when I went into the bathroom to look through the medicine cabinet for my migraine medication I was so frustrated and blinded by tears that when I heard my mom coming near the bathroom I just grabbed everything and went into my room to read the labels so I didn't have to argue with her anymore. She chased me down and grabbed them from me, even though most of the bottles were empty or had maybe two penicillin pills at the most in them she treated me like I was going to kill myself with them. All I wanted at that point was to be able to fall asleep, and I can't very well do that with a pulsing head. I was angry lastnight, yes, and the thought seemed appealing for all of two seconds but I'm being treated like I need to be hauled into a mental hospital because she doesn't believe that I legitimately had a headache. I don't really know how to approach the situation. I'm afraid it might make me actually consider it if I have to argue with her about my intentions, but I don't want her to think that I was trying to take my life lastnight. I don't want to and I know that I can't leave my little brother behind because I'm the one who takes care of him. I just want her to understand what happened lastnight. I just don't know how.

2. GA_lost

GA_lost Well-Known Member

Chelsea You are correct talking with parents about suicide is difficult. Parents are never ready to accept anything happening to their child. Maybe you should talk with her about seeing a therapist instead of directly about suicide. This would show her you want help. Once you have begun seeing a therapist, would be a good time to bring this up again. Until she knows you are safe and wanting help, she would not accept that you did not want to kill yourself.
    :hug::hug:

3. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I wrote my parents a letter and left in on their bed and went and hid in my room....I had to tell them to get help (this was when I was 14 or so) but was not able to talk openly about what I was going through.

They love you they just may not know how to deal with your pain but I am sure they will help you get help.
    B

4. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

The majority of people don't know how to respond to things like this and just freak. Your Mum is reacting in a typical way. She is obviously really scared for you. It's good if you can talk but I know it's not easy. Try sitting down with her sometime when you are both feeling a bit calmer and let her know this is something that you are fighting. It's not something you really want to do. After all coming here to the forum shows you are asking for help and support with this. Does she know about SF? Don't be angry with her but try and understand how she must be feeling as well. Best wishes.

5. Squid

Squid Member

I sat down with her tonight with the intent of at least suggesting it was all okay, but I ended up crying before I got very far into the conversation. I started off apologizing for how the previous night had been executed and just got really emotional trying to tell her how much I love her. When she started crying and apologizing too I settled for at least being on good terms with her again. I still do want to talk about it with her someday, but I feel a weight lifted off my shoulders now that everything from lastnight is in the past for us. Maybe someday when I'm more able to talk about it I will, but for now I suppose I have my time. I don't want her to worry anymore right now anyway. That's what's so difficult about this. It's challenging to find someone who is willing to listen. Whenever I've approached anyone they've always spazzed out on me when I told them honestly what was going on. That's not to say I don't understand why, because I do, I just find it that much harder to cope when I have the additional stress of knowing I'm scaring my loved ones.

6. yursomedicated

yursomedicated Chat & Forum Buddy

Hey Chelsea,
    I have been there with talking to parents...and pills.
    If you ever need someone to talk, I am on here everynight and I am in the same time zone as you if you are in Florida. (usually around 10)
    Please, if you need someone to talk to, don't hesitate.
    We can get through this together if you want.

Ronnie.

7. Squid

Squid Member

Thank you Ronnie. Maybe I should take it slow. I'm always one to rush into things and try to do everything, even if I'm not ready for it. I think I should finally work my way into something gradually, but I can foresee myself running into quite a few obstacles along the way, and for that I may seek your help. I appreciate the offer. It means so much.

8. hardcore

hardcore Well-Known Member

It is good that you are on good terms now. Things like that can destroy relationships. If you continue to keep the ability to talk with your parents like that then you will be able to keep an understanding between them and you that would otherwise be lost. I know this from experience.

9. max0718

max0718 Well-Known Member

Hi Squid,

I know how tough it can be talking to your parents about this. It was one of THE hardest things that I ever had to do. To see my father cry especially whenever we talked about it, broke me. I can't stand the fact that I am and have caused them any pain, because I know they have a lot to deal with on their own.

I can't really give you any advice, as I haven't yet figured out how to handle my situation, let alone give insight into someone else's. But I will say this, knowing your child is in pain and dealing with it is much better than worrying whether your child is in pain and not dealing with it. I have learned though to not be that specific when it comes to telling my parents how I feel, but to work that out privately with my counselor. I really think you should consider speaking to someone, as keeping your feelings inside will cause more heartache eventually and depression doesn't go away on its own.. BELIEVE ME.

Anyway, hope your situation improves. All the best.

Max

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.