Talking in my sleep

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by PiecesMended, Apr 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PiecesMended

PiecesMended Well-Known Member

Recently I keep talking in my sleep (on the off-chance I get some).
    At first my best friends found it kind of funny but then they started having full-blown conversations with me whilst asleep! Sometimes I say something about what I'm dreaming, other times I say another friend's name and apparently I sometimes say disturbing things.
    The other week I had another conversation with one of my friends in german. She lived in germany most of her childhood and I took a GCSE in it. Thing is, I don't know much german whilst awake ( I can barely string together a sentence half the time!) It's becoming really strange! Anyone relate?

2. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

this is weird, especially about being able to talk in german. I suppose they could be pulling your leg though.

will they tell you what disturbing things you say?

maybe it would be better for them to only talk to you while you are awake.

3. oval

oval Well-Known Member

i talk in my sleep too. and when people ask me question i will answer them. that also kinda worries me since i probably tell them the truth to whatever question they ask. and funnily, most of the time i also speak german... but thats bc im german lol i also sleep walk so its a whole lota fun to have someone over for a night!
    you might not actually speak fluently and just say words in german. thats more likely than you being possessed by a german demon :biggrin:
    i wouldnt worry about it too much. ask your friend how well you speak german while asleep

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2011
  4. Illusion

Illusion Well-Known Member

Thats interesting. Nobody I know has talked in their sleep in a different language. The only person I've listened to and had a conversation with while they were sleeping was my mom. Sometimes she says hurtful things in her sleep to me so I'm getting to where I just don't respond to her sleep talking anymore. :grr:

Me however, if I have a really bad dream I'll shout something from the dream out. I'll also jump in my sleep to from bad dreams. Usually I just make light sounds in my sleep or say random little words. Nobodys ever heard me carry on a sentence or conversation in my sleep before. While we're talking about dreams.. something tells me a friend of mine may speak spanish or japanese in her sleep sometimes. She loves learning languages and speaking them so I wouldn't be surprised if I was to ever hear her say stuff in one of those languages in her sleep.

5. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

I can relate a lot to this i have sleep disorders which means i do a lot in my sleep. I have spoke in a broad irish accent and talked about my sheep farm in northern ireland (im a yorkshireman.)
    I also told my partner at the time that i was cheating on her and told her all sorts from my past too. Other times id tell my partner how much i loved her.
    That and the fact i got violent in my sleep meant i would often go without sleep for days at a time trying to avoid what i knew would happen when i slept (my partner was severely ill and one punch to her stomach could have easily killed her). I have walked around the house, kicked doors of their hinges, argued with the walls, climbed babygates, thrown the iron at my ex, even once punched my dog who was trying to pin me protecting my ex.

The problem i found was when you tell a doctor "i have sleep problems" they seem to think its something menial and not a serious matter. After 3 years im finally on meds which seem to stop it, but its been 3 years of no sleep and constant fear. It has meant that now i single i darent spend a night with a woman and it has deeply affected my life.

6. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

Oh my ex also speaks italian in her sleep.....she doesnt know italian though! ive recorded it a few times and from what ive researched its all fluent.

7. PiecesMended

PiecesMended Well-Known Member

I don't think they'd joke about it, they're the sort of people who try to be all serious when pulling a prank but most of the time they just giggle about it, now they've gotten used to it. The disturbing thing well aparently I once told them about something that I saw when I was little (quite horrific, let's not go there) and they found that disturbing, I know they were telling the truth because I've never told them and they told me the whole thing. Now they just tell me what conversation we had and we all laugh about it but I still find it weird. I don't know about the german, maybe I just subconciously remember more german than I thought?

8. mikesleeptalker

mikesleeptalker New Member

Hello Ben,
    I'm glad you put this post out here. I'd like to point out that I am not suicidal, but since this is the first forum with people having similar issues to me, I decided to register and respond. I've been talking in my sleep for a long time now, at least that I'm aware of. I had a room mate in college who definitely had some fun with me, responding to things I would say, egging me on etc. One that Stands out "come here little black boy, I like little black boys" that disturbed me a bit, as it just seemed odd, I'm a white guy, with little interaction with black people, but thats not so say none at all.
    Well my father talks in my sleep, so could it be hereditary?
    It seems worse when I drink, but I'm not sure on that....
    In college, I tried pushing my then GF out of the bed, and said "get out of the bed BA", well that's the dog, and he wasn't living in her apt, but at mine...
    I also slept walked out of her room, into a friends room, and got into her bed...
    My wife has told me numerous times some things I've done in the bed while asleep, usually rather embarrassing, sometimes things I say disturb me so much, I can't believe how mean I could be in bed, or the things I would say to my wife about her, other woman, or god knows what else...
    the other night might of been my most disturbing conversation, and I'm not going to write what I said...

Why does this happen? Should I get tested out or something? I don't want to get put on a med, especially if its going to stop me from sleeping!
    Any idea's, or am I just acting out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.