Talking to a councellor

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Lana, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

Something happened last year around this time and I've been having a hard time dealing with it since. It's too embrassing to say and I'm not innocent in this at all. I woke up today and within 15 minutes I was crying. I heard a song that reminded me of it. All day I've been feeling out of it, like my brain stopped working.

I've been thinking about talking to a councellor at school, but part of me feels that's dumb. I got myself into it, let it get worst. I don't know. I'm just really upset. It's my last year of school and I really don't want my grades to slip because of my mood. But then I feel there's nothing a councellor could really do.

What would you do?

2. Speedy

Speedy Staff Alumni

What kind of counselor are you looking to speak to? A guidance counselor or another kind of counselor (mental health related maybe)? Do you know which one you would like to speak to, and if so what do you think of that person?

3. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about talking to a mental health counsellor. I've been to a few in the past and some were more helpful than others. But I'm not sure what else I can do. I'm having a difficult time dealing with this situation. One of my friends knows, but I feel she doesn't want to keep hearing about it.

4. Speedy

Speedy Staff Alumni

I think, at the very least (in my experience), you can let things out when speaking to a counselor. And there isn't the lingering concern of having secrets spread (confidentiality - with a few exceptions). You say some were more helpful than others, which sounds promising. If you do decide to see one, I hope you find someone you're comfortable with. :)

5. eagles_fan

eagles_fan Well-Known Member

A counselor would be ideal, then. They're there to help you deal with your feelings. Some of them can be quite helpful, if you "click" with them, I guess. If you don't find them helpful, you can always just stop seeing them, right?

6. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

That is very true. Thanks

7. Speedy

Speedy Staff Alumni

Good luck! :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.