Talking to my Dad

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Mama_Pills, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mama_Pills

Mama_Pills Well-Known Member

I haven't yet, but he wants to talk to me sometime this week while I'm home for Spring Break, and I'm nervous because I keep thinking about it. :(. I want to talk to him and finally just have it out in the open in hopes that he might understand and not brush it off as a phase this time, but I also don't want to hurt him or my family.

2. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Gosh my dad does that to and I am over 40 and ya know what I still get all nervous!

May I suggest writing out what you want to say...sometimes just an outline is good so it give you something to keep on track cuz if you are like me your Dad makes ya nervous and also he takes over the whole conversation.

What are you two going to "have it out" about? Your depression/issues?

3. cownes

cownes Well-Known Member

people often feel a lot better, when things are out in the open, and if the 'talks' are often not as bad as you first think they are going to be, i see this is posted in self harm, is the talk about self harm? if it is, is your dad supportive?
  4. Mama_Pills

What happened was, a friend of mine (though he didn't tell me who) sent him a Facebook message saying they were concerned about me. I've never spoken to my dad about my self harm, though it has been brought up before, three years ago when I was reported in my high school, but the situation was sort of brushed off. He just wants to talk to me civilly about it. I'm not nervous because it's my dad, I'm just nervous about how the situation is going to play out and how well he's going to take it. My dad and I are very close and always have been. I just don't want him to think anything is his fault or my family's fault.
  5. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I see well explain that to him just as you have done to did a great job and your heart felt love showed through a lot...maybe you can give him an article about self harm so he understands and can see it is not about is a link to one I have handy.

Good luck with Dad, your love will show through and reassure him I am always has a way of sneaking out in the open..
  6. cownes

cownes Well-Known Member

your dad may have alot of questions to ask, my mom did, but you dont have to answer them all, just answer as many as you feel comforatble with, you sound like such a caring person, and i think it is great that you feel you will be able to talk to your dad about it, once he knows about it, you will feel a lot better, it no longer has to be kept a secret, my mom recently found out about me, so i understand what you are goign through, if u ever wanna talk, chat etc, then feel free to PM me :hug:
  7. Mama_Pills

I just talked to my dad for a good two hours; he noticed I was feeling a bit down and out, so he made his sad face and said, "Talk to me, please." It was while my mom was upstairs, but she ended up coming down before we could finish chatting, so now she knows too, which I'm not sure is the best thing right now. She gets stressed really easily, and I feel like she's going to think this is her fault, but I tried to explain that it isn't.

Anyway, it went better than I thought it would. I explained everything as best I could, and I do feel a lot better. It turns out my grandmother suffers from anxiety and depression too, so my dad says it obviously isn't just coming out of nowhere and it isn't just an incident or something. I had a doctor's appointment tomorrow anyway, so we're going to mention everything to my doctor and see if he can prescribe me anything, and my dad said he's going to try and find someone for me to start seeing.
  8. alison

alison Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm glad that worked out so well! hope things go well at the doctors
  9. Young suicider

Young suicider Well-Known Member

Why is it that I know what you did was right,but I can't do the same...

If people knew I'd feel so much better but I can't do it

"Almost every teen suicide is from someone keeping it to themselves"

Evan knowing that doesn't help
  10. Young suicider

Young suicider Well-Known Member

I can sit on this forum all day and tell someone to do something and know it's the right thing;but never would I do it myself
  11. cownes

cownes Well-Known Member

well done for speaking to ur dad, that must have taken great courage, but u chose to tell the truth, try not to worry about your mom, she will be glad in the end that she knows and that you are going the right way about getting help! :hug: well done!
  12. Mama_Pills

Today my mom starting crying and telling me how she feels like it's her fault. I tried to tell her it isn't, but she walked away from me. This is exactly what I didn't want.

I keep being lectured by the girl who told my dad about everything, and she keeps telling me that cutting myself isn't going to get me a boyfriend, and she's so happy with her life, and I'm so tired of her telling me that she's so happy now and she doesn't understand why I cut, even though she used to all the time, and when I called her a hypocrite, she self-righteously told me that she hasn't cut all year. Excuse me for cutting 9 times already in just the past 2 months, and excuse me for not having someone to love me like everyone else we knew in high school. Excuse me for being ugly and worthless and not good enough for anyone I've ever met. She keeps telling me about who she's seeing this day and the next day and how she's having such a great Spring Break and I'm so sick of it because I just want to be able to smile too.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.