Talking to my Therapist About Self-Harm

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Phantom Rain, May 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phantom Rain

Phantom Rain Member

I know they always tell you to let your therapist know about your problem such as self harm, but I'm a minor so I don't feel I can tell her this without her telling my parents. I know that to get better I need to tell someone but I can't let my parents know just yet, I'm not ready. I know my mom, she already has a lot on her plate since she has depression and I know that I tell her it'll just make it worse for her. When I first told her that my dad started smoking she started full on crying while we had guests over. Nobody knows I self harm and I'm just worried she would freak out.

2. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

I don't know the law on this, so forgive me.

But I think you should tell the therapist. Like you said it yourself, they can't help you if they don't know.

Most things you tell a therapist should be confidential, even as a minor (again I don't know for sure, maybe someone else does?)
    But I am pretty sure it would be handled delicately if that was the case.

Is your mother getting treatment for her depression? If she is then I think you should tell her, she can work on this with her own therapist...

I know this is not the same, but if I have to talk to my boyfriend about bad stuff or that I had to harm myself, like he said himself, he'll work on it in therapy...

I hope you manage to reach out and get the help you need.

For now, have you found any methods of distraction that works for you?

3. Phantom Rain

Phantom Rain Member

I'm not sure its the law but if my psychiatrist makes the conclusion that I'm in danger to my self or others she can tell my parents, its in the contract. Patient confidentiality is a bit different when your younger because you still need your parent to parent and they need to know if you are hurting yourself someone. My mom is getting some treatment, she on meds, but she only sees her therapist like once a month. My new method of coping is posting replays for other people on here, it keeps my hands busy. Oh, and thanks for thanks for replying to my original post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.