Talking to the doctor...

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Rowan, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rowan

Rowan Banned Member

So... Apparently I'm going to the doctors tomorrow... And... I really want to be able to talk about everything... but I've never had a doctor actually listen to me... So I dont even know how to bring things up... Like how do I talk to him about being suicidal...? My depression...? Pain...? My sleep...? I have no idea at all... Any help will be appreciated... And yes Im going alone... My guardian will not be coming with me...

2. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

The doctor will be the one asking questions, I think.
    Just talk abut whatever you're comfortable talking about. If you are not comfortable with the question- then you can ask for a different one.

The first time seeing a doctor is all 'getting to know you' kind of stuff... so say what is on your mind and remember that they are only there to listen and to help you.

3. Rowan

Rowan Banned Member

I met him once yeah and did that getting to know you shit, but my mom was there and I didnt really talk at all...

4. KittyGirl

I think he'll probably know that you didn't say much and may ask you more questions without your mom being present.

I often get asked the same questions several times because I may come in with someone or be more nervous than usual and won't say anything.

5. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

Does he know your seeing him in regards to depression? or does he think its just a general GP visit?

6. Rowan

Rowan Banned Member

He knows about the depression I think :blink: I made my mom call, I have a phobia of phones. But.. Yeah... I guess everything will have to be brought up... :(

7. wheresmysheep

Well then be honest with him when he asks you about it, tell him how bad it is, and how much it affects you, its the only way he can properly help you

8. Rowan

Rowan Banned Member

I guess :/ I just hate talking about it especially to doctors, It makes me feel even worse, or that Im retard for feeling that way :/

9. wheresmysheep

he's there to help you hun. if your not honest with him he cant help you, he wont understand how much this is affecting you and hindering your day to day life. Be as open and honest as you can

10. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

Woah, are you like my long list twin or something? D: We're in identical situations. I've been trying to work up to visiting my doctor about my depression, lack of sleep, anxiety, etc., for a while now and I'm supposed to be making the appointment to visit there tomorrow but I'm too afraid to go. I went before about two years ago now with my mum and I wasn't fully able to tell the doctor exactly what was wrong and how I felt, so I got turned away and told there was nothing wrong with me. I have a huge phobia of phones too but sadly my mum thinks I'm old enough now to make my own appointments. x_x

As for advice (and I'm going to be a total hypocrite here, so I apologize) it might be a good idea to get a piece of paper and write down all the things you want to bring up when you're at the doctors tomorrow. Just little notes that will remind you of certain things you may want to talk about, so if your mind does go blank or you're unsure of what to say, you can refer to it and explain each point that you have written down to him/her. You just have to remember that he can't help you if you aren't honest and tell him exactly how you're feeling. If you have a problem with talking to a stranger face to face, try taking a little toy or charm that you can hold in your hand when you're there to talk to instead? If you catch my drift. The sooner you get the doctors visit over with, the sooner you can get help and get your life back on track. Try not to think too hard about tomorrow, and just try and relax. The worst that can happen is he won't listen to you and you'll have to find a different doctor. You've got nothing to lose here. :hug:

Sorry for going on about myself, I don't like doing it but I just wanted you to know how similar our situations are and if you have any problems or want to talk about any of this, you can PM me, not that I can promise that I'll be of much help. >_<

11. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Good luck visiting your doctor Raynah. I hope that you can discuss everything that you want to discuss with him. :hug:

12. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

My doctor is the most wonderful, kind person I have ever met.

If you are open with him/her, you'll do fine, unless they're a lunatic.

13. Rowan

Rowan Banned Member

My doctor was a complete dipshit... He was so rude to me... I explained that I was suicidal explained a bit about my family answered his questions etc and he's like '' well I don't know what else to tell you' your not telling me enough'' I just sat there. Then he asked me if I cut. I nervously said yes and this is in his exact words '' if you cut then show me'' I shuddered and I was like '' excuse me...?'' And he's like '' where are they? Show me'' I said '' my legs... And no...'' He's like '' why not?'' I said it was too personal. He made me repeat that three times until he got the picture. He's then like '' I don't know much else to tell you, but your going to talk to someone cause I don't want to deal with you.''

14. KittyGirl

I'm sorry your doctor is such a douche... find a new one right away.

I'm in the process of finding a new doctor too, and it's fucking hard. Once in awhile though; you will be able to find a competent doctor who genuinely cares about his/her patients.

15. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

raynah that doctor is a douche.......there are a few of them around unfortunately.....
    find a new one as soon as possible......one who will show some compassion....
    go talk to whoever he refferred you to though ..they may be just the one who will give you the help you need...:hugtackles:

16. ema

ema Antiquities Friend

Try not to give up. It's so hard. I had a doctor "fire" me because he said I had an attitude problem. Poopy-head! I now know he didn't know how to recognize or deal with DID. He doesn't even believe it is real. I went home and took a bunch of pills and that was NOT the solution. I kept up and found the doc I have now who specializes in DID and he knew me right away. I didn't even know what was going on with me, but he KNEW us and talked to us just as we needed, and, yup, 9 years later we are still working, but I have somebody who understands and who is honest and cares. (The honest part is the hardest.)

Keep at it. If he referred you to somebody, or gave you names, they might be ones who are really good at the areas you need.

Keep being honest and keep trying. There are good docs out there.

And, I want to give you 2 thumbs up for refusing to show your legs. :biggrin: That was wrong on his part and fantastic courage on yours!

17. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Hi Raynah. Sorry to hear that your doctor was an idiot. Did you go see a psychiatrist or someone specifically trained to deal with mental illness? General practitioners (family doctors) are not well trained to deal mental illnesses. Your doctor sounded like he just wanted to see the scars on your legs, but didn't really care to help you. I haven't seen my doctor for over 2 years, but I'm going for a physical next month.

18. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

Have you thought about looking up potential doctors online to find out how they are?

19. Rowan

Rowan Banned Member

Thank you guys for your support, yes he was a douche, and no I cant get a new doctor, he himself is a new doctor, I can go to this walk in clinic for teens though, which has a nurse, social worker and dietitian, Im probably going there for treatment. As well I have the person well (soon to be person, he hasnt called me yet for my appointment with her) that I can talk to, I think shes a psych Im not sure... And thanks emma for the thumbs up :]

20. wheresmysheep

What a dick :dry: wish i could reach over there and slap him, I hated when i was asked to show my scars, they are also on my legs, but i didnt have the balls to tell them no. so well done hun. :hug:
    i think the walk in centre sounds good, and wait for the other woman to get intouch with you too, theres no such thing as too much help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.