Talks Sherwin Nuland: My history of electroshock therapy

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by worlds edge, Sep 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

Link to video

I thought this was very well done, and quite powerful. I saw Dr. Nuland speak about five years ago, when he had just written a book about his childhood, and had no clue he'd gone through all this.

It is about 20 minutes long, but seemed to me to take about two to watch.
  2. zerozeroufo

zerozeroufo Member

read something about this not too long ago. that they were still doing it. not enough time to watch the video. i've always thought that when you are depressed it might seem like a good idea. maybe when you're not depressed it does'nt seem so great. i mean think about the ideas you have when you're depressed. some of those ideas are'nt great.

plus it makes psychiatry look bad and keeps people away from it. that's the worst of it. things that you know are wrong can never be right.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2008
  3. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

I watched the video. Interesting. I've read that ECT can help where meds haven't. I wonder what you have to say to get it.
  4. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

I found the video very interesting, I have had ECT when drugs failed to have any effect on my depression. Since then I've started & remained on the same drug with great results!
  5. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I just got out of the puzzle factory having had my third round of ECT (had them in '89 and '98). It gives you HORRIBLE headaches immediately following the treatment, wipes out your memory to the point where you bumble absolutely without a clue through everyday routines but does seem to work in combating treatment resistant depression.

Why did I do this to myself again? Well, I feel I've little to lose and I was suffering too intensely with depression. Am I still depressed? At the moment no. Am I still suicidal? Unfortunately for MANY :blub: reasons yes.

By the way, my psychiatrist gave me ECT because she is near sixty years old, old school and from the Ukraine.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.