Tattoo

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by TaraB3ar, Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaraB3ar

TaraB3ar Well-Known Member

When I was younger both of my parents tried to commit suicide (at different times) and even though it was a long time ago and they are better now it's still a very painful memory I carry with me every day. However, the only good thing that came of it is that I saw them both at their very lowest of lows and saw them come back from that. I never want to forget that no matter how bad things get I can get through it and things will get better. I want a tattoo to convey this, either a symbol or a quote. Any ideas? I was thinking of a phoenix for a long time, especially since it appears to come back from death but I think the Phoenix is more a symbol of strength which isn't quite what I'm looking for. Sometimes I get tired of being the strong one, i need something to remind me things will be ok. "this too shall pass" is a thought I had but it's rather simple and kind of used a lot. Any quotes or ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

Ps please dont tell me not to get a tattoo, I already have 4 so you'd be a bit late on that

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

so many i guess could be chosen myself i like the solar eclipse as it shows a darkness but also a light behind it to reveal there is hope just sometimes one cannot see it fully hugs

3. Struggler_

Struggler_ Active Member

An infinity symbol of some kind may be appropriate. Ouroboros, or just some sort of other circular design, would work just as well. Infinity, eternity, and the everlasting are all things that greatly interest me, and I find that they are all ideas that strongly apply to the strength of working through thoughts of suicide.

4. PaperFlame

PaperFlame Active Member

Was about to say the same thing. Perhaps a celtic symbol of eternity, the never-ending cycle of life? e.g.

[​IMG]
    The image depicts the celtic belief of three kingdoms of man: birth, death and eternity. They are all joined in the middle creating a loop if you will

5. dragonfly70

dragonfly70 Well-Known Member

I really like the phoenix idea. The phoenix reaches the point of self-destruction but then rises up out of the ashes. By depicting the phoenix at the rising stage, with the ashes beneath it, it would celebrate the rebuilding and recovery your parents went through after their attempts and be a reminder to you that even when things seem desperately hopeless, life can return.

6. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

not as pwerful perhaps, but what about a small flower blooming out of a small pile of snow? seasons are always changing and spring show life returning following winter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.