tattoos

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by jcat, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcat

jcat Staff Alumni

i was a cutter when i was younger. did some nerve damage as a result.
    i've been getting tattoos for a while now. my back is almost done, my upper arms are done, working on right leg. i've been thinking and reminiscing abotu old times lately. now i'm getting another tat monday. does this have anything to do with wanting to cut. or am i just addicted to tattoos?
    i like the pain that is inflicted. i enjoy climbing the walls from the needle going in.
    is this a problem.? i think it is, but not sure if this is just another form on SI.
    :unsure:

2. Twisted Sweet Lies

Twisted Sweet Lies Well-Known Member

I never considered getting tattoos a form of SI because someone else is doing it to you. Now if you were causeing the pain yourself that might be SI. Also a lot of people have tattoos. Is it a form of SI for them? Not really. but I guess it depends on how you look at it. And when people cut it's usually not a planed thing. It's usually something someone does right away after they have gotten upset or what ever.

3. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

pain or certain aspects that directly or indirectly are related to pain can mean so many things. no way anyone here could really tell you the answer to that, they'll only be able to give you a general definition, and you're already aware of it. you'll have to dig a bit deeper into it if you want too.

my random thoughts, it might be a combination of many feelings. You're getting tattoos, you're experienceing multipul sensations on your body and maybe emotionally ect.

No, there's nothing wrong with enjoying it :smile:. This is my beliefe though, enjoy it to your desires, as long as you're looking after your body. On the surface, I can't see anything wrong with you enjoying the pain it causes.

Why do you think there might be something wrong with you enjoying it?

4. underdosed

underdosed Guest

when i got my tatoo, it felt so "good" i was completely still while he did it. i had to convince him i was still consious several times since he thought i had "blacked out from the pain." i dont think its healthy. scratch that. i KNOW its not healthy. but dont feel bad, i did it too. the way we both felt about it and described it just goes to show that you can never escape SI (or inflicted pain). its everywhere.

5. i have a tattoo... yes- it hurt - when i look back - a lot i guess.... but - I think perhaps it IS a socially acceptable way of going through injury/pain - in a 'way' self-inflicted because u have chosen to do this... I guess it depends on WHY you chose to have one - whether it was because you like tattos or whether it was because of the pain that it would inflict?

:)

Love
    GE

6. jcat

jcat Staff Alumni

:trigger:
    not good at the moment. getting my tat in an hour
    getting drilled on. hope it helps the way i am feeling. it's all bad at the moment. sorry everyone. i'll be back later. hope the tat is all i have.

7. :hug: what tat are you gettin?! Sorry you feel rough hun - but am here for you :mellow:

Love
    GE

8. suicidal maniac

suicidal maniac Well-Known Member

I have to get a tattoo to, as I messed up my lower leg preety bad. I think for you it is the pain.

9. TLA

TLA Antiquitie's Friend

I wasn't sure I need/want to state this, but I don't really care what others think. You all may hate/slam me for saying so, this is MY opinion: :tongue:
    You don't have to agree or think like I do.

Personally, I don't see the attraction of tattoos at all. There are many people in my town that have them and I find it very disturbing, ickky & sometimes disgusting. When I was taught the Bible, your body belongs to the Lord therefore we should appreciate it.

1st Corinthians 6:19-20 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body. 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

Drawing permanent pictures or names on specific parts of your body seems like destroying the body (temple) that was given to you. The opposite of honoring Him. Yet, many things in our world are not what is good or right.

BUT, on the other side of the coin, I would not dislike, or discriminate against people that choose to have tattoos. Everyone has their likes and reasons.

I can see how the sensations you may feel be pleasant for you. Why did you change from cutting to tattoos? I would not think it is SI, although the reason that it is done might need to be addressed in the future. When you cut in the past, and when you get the tattoo from the artist now, do your senses feel similar both times?

I have seen a married couple that have tattoos on every inch of their body. What happens when you run out of space? Do it over? WOW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.