Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by RyanKey=MyLife, May 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyanKey=MyLife

RyanKey=MyLife Well-Known Member

I'm planning on getting a tattoo, but someone has said that Tattoo artist practice on pigs first, is this true? If yes, do they all?
    I know some inks are vegan and some arent, what do I need to ask for the vegan inks?

The main question I'm looking for an answer for is: Is there a animal friendly way of having a tattoo?

If that makes sense ^__^ lol I hate explaning things :]
  2. Anju

Anju Well-Known Member

I'd say go to google or ask whoever is doing the tattoo for you :unsure:

I know the guy in my area practises on his friends/self, not pigs, so I would doubt they all do.
  3. Malcontent

Malcontent Staff Alumni

Some tattoo artists when they first start out learning will practice on pig skin, but not live pigs. I don't think it's a very common thing in the uk either. Any good tattoo artist wont mind you asking questions, if they get snooty about it, leave.
  4. black orchid

black orchid Well-Known Member

Pretty much all artists start out practising on pig skin even if they are in apprenticeship then they practise on the other artists around them after as pig skin is the closest to human skin and letting someone loose with needles on human skin the first time they ever pick up a gun would be a bit scary!

A lot of artists don't actually know what is in the inks as companies don't have to disclose it in an ingredients list, so you'd be better to do your own research as to which inks are vegan (vegetable oil based and no glycerin).

Some inks that i know are vegan are Eternal, Starbright, SkinCandy, and Stable, so it might be more a case of finding an artist that uses these inks.
  5. pippy

pippy Member

the guy who does mine learnt to tattoo working in a slaughter house.

to be honest it doesn't bother me.

but just ask before you have one done and if you aren't comfortable, leave!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.