• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Teacher anxiety

Today the guidelines for schools came out for going back in September. Since the start of lockdown I’ve been teaching my classes remotely. I’ve seen this from both sides because whilst setting and marking work for my own students I’ve also been supportIng own son with his home learning. Neither have been a positive or successful process. Going back in September is going to be hell. Don’t get me wrong, I want to go.back. I want to get back to some sort of normal but I can’t see how it’s going to work without going back and being normal. The logistics of keeping year groups in bubbles and not mixing when we have 1200 students on site trying to move between lessons is crazy. Not being able to approach students so help them will be impossible.

At the moment I’m in twice a week sitting with small groups of 15, all sitting 2m apart and all working independently, the other three days I’m remotely setting the work and batting a barrage of emails from students wanting help. So many students have disengaged from the work and have fallen steadily further and further behind so when we go back my exam classes will be all over the place and trying to bring everyone back together is going to be a nightmare even if we went back to every ring normal, trying to get the exam classes ready for the summer exams having missed so much time and being so behind, is going to be really tough. I’m concerned about how the kids will cope. Mental health and anxiety in y11 is bad enough under Norma circumstances but for next years y11 it will be even worse. Although it was tough for this years y11 I think next year have it far worse

But I think the worst part for me and where some of my anxiety comes from, is the lack of control in any of the decisions that will be made over the next few weeks in the preparation and organisation for when we go back. I have some ideas as to how something’s could be done but because I’m not management I won’t have a say. Teaching is my passion and having taught for 25 years, all my problem solving skills just can’t see a way forward to going back safely and effectively get the kids ready for their exams.

As for my son I’ve taken the decision that for now his mental health is more important. He was really struggling to work from home so I’ve decided that if he doesn’t complete all the work set that it doesn’t matter. So many students will be in the same boat and he will hopefully catch up when he goes back to whatever the new setup will be.

Innocent Forever

Still innocent!
SF Supporter
Today the guidelines for schools came out for going back in September. Since the start of lockdown I’ve been teaching my classes remotely. I’ve seen this from both sides because whilst setting and marking work for my own students I’ve also been supportIng own son with his home learning. Neither have been a positive or successful process. Going back in September is going to be hell. Don’t get me wrong, I want to go.back. I want to get back to some sort of normal but I can’t see how it’s going to work without going back and being normal. The logistics of keeping year groups in bubbles and not mixing when we have 1200 students on site trying to move between lessons is crazy. Not being able to approach students so help them will be impossible.

At the moment I’m in twice a week sitting with small groups of 15, all sitting 2m apart and all working independently, the other three days I’m remotely setting the work and batting a barrage of emails from students wanting help. So many students have disengaged from the work and have fallen steadily further and further behind so when we go back my exam classes will be all over the place and trying to bring everyone back together is going to be a nightmare even if we went back to every ring normal, trying to get the exam classes ready for the summer exams having missed so much time and being so behind, is going to be really tough. I’m concerned about how the kids will cope. Mental health and anxiety in y11 is bad enough under Norma circumstances but for next years y11 it will be even worse. Although it was tough for this years y11 I think next year have it far worse

But I think the worst part for me and where some of my anxiety comes from, is the lack of control in any of the decisions that will be made over the next few weeks in the preparation and organisation for when we go back. I have some ideas as to how something’s could be done but because I’m not management I won’t have a say. Teaching is my passion and having taught for 25 years, all my problem solving skills just can’t see a way forward to going back safely and effectively get the kids ready for their exams.

As for my son I’ve taken the decision that for now his mental health is more important. He was really struggling to work from home so I’ve decided that if he doesn’t complete all the work set that it doesn’t matter. So many students will be in the same boat and he will hopefully catch up when he goes back to whatever the new setup will be.
It does sound absolutely chaotic and you're right that there is nothing you can do. This years year 11 didn't do so badly. The coming will definitely have it harder. Although I thought they were supposed to be in school at the moment?
I don't have any advice. I hope you can breathe through it... and deal with it when it comes....
*hug *hug

It does sound absolutely chaotic and you're right that there is nothing you can do. This years year 11 didn't do so badly. The coming will definitely have it harder. Although I thought they were supposed to be in school at the moment?
I don't have any advice. I hope you can breathe through it... and deal with it when it comes....
*hug *hug
Y10 are back but they’re not having proper lessons. We can only have 15 in a room due to social distancing which limits the number we can have on site. At best they are getting a day a week where they sit and work independently on work set for everyone whether remotely at home or when they are in. I haven’t seen my class since the end of March. It won’t be that they have stood still either, they will have gone backwards in a lot of the prep we were doing. My lot are supposed to be taking an external exam in January but I doubt they’ll be ready. Next years y11 definitely have it worse and I feel terribly for them. I don’t think they have actually realised the impact yet.

We had the details of next year yesterday and it is going to be a whole new way of working. Basically where possible, students staying in one room or block and teachers moving between classes. This way it keeps movement to a minimum. Some lessons extended to double lessons, again to reduce movement. It is all possible and I know everyone will pull together but the pressure next year is going to be high. Just trying to keep going and not panic so I’m exhausted before we even start.

Innocent Forever

Still innocent!
SF Supporter
Y10 are back but they’re not having proper lessons. We can only have 15 in a room due to social distancing which limits the number we can have on site. At best they are getting a day a week where they sit and work independently on work set for everyone whether remotely at home or when they are in. I haven’t seen my class since the end of March. It won’t be that they have stood still either, they will have gone backwards in a lot of the prep we were doing. My lot are supposed to be taking an external exam in January but I doubt they’ll be ready. Next years y11 definitely have it worse and I feel terribly for them. I don’t think they have actually realised the impact yet.

We had the details of next year yesterday and it is going to be a whole new way of working. Basically where possible, students staying in one room or block and teachers moving between classes. This way it keeps movement to a minimum. Some lessons extended to double lessons, again to reduce movement. It is all possible and I know everyone will pull together but the pressure next year is going to be high. Just trying to keep going and not panic so I’m exhausted before we even start.
It's definitely going to be chaotic.
I'm glad you're keeping on... that's really all you can do. It'll be hard enough when you're doing it!
Sending hugs and sunshine

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
If it helps. Its an issue worldwide. @Holding my breath as an outsider with no offspring or job invested in education I am seeing people around me grapple with choices of homeschooling their kids like my sister is leaning towards keeping her 4 and soon to be 7 year old back for the 2020-2021 school year and homeschooling them instead.

To me repeating a year.... whats the harm? Have everyone repeat. Thats what they did to me in kindergarten made me repeat K again due to circumstances beyond my control at that time.

For high stress day to day. Take it one day at a time.

Imy

I really respect your decision regarding your son and his work. Like you said, a lot of people are in the same boat. Well done to you both.

It's unfortunate that you won't have much of a say because of your position, particularly because you will be massively affected by it.

As much as people will plan for transitions back to "normal" etc, I assume that people will realise what doesn't work and I feel that it's likely adjustments will be made.

I agree that students mental health will be negatively impacted. Unfortunately, we can't really predict what's around the corner. I guess all we can do is take it day by day.

I completely understand your worries around the situation though. I really hope the best for you

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$95.00
Goal
$255.00