teacher making suicide jokes

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by MourningAngel, Jul 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MourningAngel

MourningAngel Well-Known Member

a teacher of mine has been repeatedly making jokes about suicide and suiciders (i won'T post what he said just in case it's too tiggering), it makes me uneasy, it's hard for me concentrate after one of his oh so funny jokes, it reminds me of the whole topic and it makes me want to SI. But why is he doing that? Can anyone give me advice on how to cope with these jokes? It doesn't do me any good as all of you surely can imagine.
    thx for taking the time to read this

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Is there anyway you can leave a note or send it saying these jokes are upsetting people so stop it. You don't have to put your name on it or anything just type up a note leave it on his desk or send it anonymously telling him to stop. It is not appropriate or funny are words i would use in the note.

3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I agree with Mary, you need to let him know that it's upsetting you.
    I don't know what his problem is :dunno:

4. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

He keeps doing it? How often? That is not good of a teacher. I think an anonymous note is the best idea. If it continues maybe speak to someone higher about it.

5. mandyj101

mandyj101 Well-Known Member

hi there..
    he shouldnt be making jokes about that sort of thing .. if u dont feel like u can tell him how its upsetting u try talking 2 another teacher u can trust .. or mabye take a friend with u ?
    :hug:

6. GeekGurl

GeekGurl Well-Known Member

Do you have a school counsellor you could mention it to? Someone making jokes could be a sign that suicide is on their mind for some reason. Maybe your teaching isn't happy, or is dealing with a loss etc. I think reporting his behaviour to someone who could help is probably the most responsible thing to do. There is of course a good chance that he's just being a dick. but likely after the school counsellor approaches him and expresses concern for him, he'd get the picture and stop.

7. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

You should go to the principal and tell him about this. This teacher should get called out for it and put on some kind of watch. Depression, anxiety and suicide are (unfortunately) common in the hormonal teenage years of uncertainty. Its never something to be joked about. Please report him. You may not be the only one he's affecting. :hug:

8. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

If you speak to the head of the school about it, they can keep your name anonymous and get him to stop, and if he doesn't stop he see's the door and get's kicked out of his job. If the note doesn't work, try this. He shouldn't be making these 'jokes'

9. jjjoooggg2

jjjoooggg2 Well-Known Member

Is this high school or college?
    2nd on the note idea.

Wonder if he may find out. Everytime our employee tells on another, someone finds out. Just a warning. Then again, it's only one grade.

I'd also use a hidden tape recorder.

What point is he trying to make?

10. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Report him.

11. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Tell someone.

He's probably got personal issues that are coming out and that has nothing to do with you all. I can understand how it's upsetting- if it upsets you so much you can just walk out and say you have good reason to. Mental health issues and life isn't a joke.

12. just.me

just.me Account Closed

its very simple
    tell him that you will drop charges on him for doing an illegal thing
    and yes, laughing about suicide is the same as laughing about a blind old man.
    and both are illegal

13. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

as with the post so far, this situation can be handled several ways. If i was in your position, the next time the teacher makes this joke, i would stand up in class and make a point of telling him that theses types of jokes are insensitive and should not be tolerated. This gives him the opportunity to stop without having to be spoken to by his peers or headmaster.

14. MourningAngel

MourningAngel Well-Known Member

it's high school

15. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

How comfortable were you with this teacher before he started making these jokes? Were you able to approach him and ask questions? An anonymous note seems like it may be the easiest answer, but I can't help but wonder what caused this to start. I know you don't wish to cause a scene. Would it be possible for you to talk to him after class the next time he jokes about it? Take a friend if you need to. Tell him you have noticed him joking about suicide quite often lately and were wondering if he was okay. Then you could suggest he talk to someone as you are concerned about him since people with suicidal thoughts verbalize them in different ways. If it happens again, then speak to the counselor about it. He may find out it was you that said something, but at least he would feel you said it out of concern for his safety rather than as a confrontation. Suicide is not a joking matter, but some people have no other way to express themselves and obviously something has put suicide on the forefront of his mind.

16. Lone_walker

Lone_walker Well-Known Member

Teacher seems like an arse :mad:
    You should do what you can to state that it is making you feel bad, and report him.
    :hug:

17. triggs

triggs Account Closed

Hi mourningangel :hug: i'm sorry you've had to deal with this, i know what it's like when teachers say stuff like that - i recently finished school but one of my teachers while i was there, used to say stuff about self harm and suicide quite a lot and joke about it even though it really wasn't funny. i know it can make you feel uneasy and put a downer on the day. i told my teacher not to say anything like that anymore and that was quite a big thing for me - i've never stepped up about anything like that before and he didn't ask me why or anything, which i was glad of.
    perhaps if you talked to your teacher, outside of lesson time, and told them not to joke about things like that anymore then they would understand. it's understandable if you don't feel comfortable enough to approach your teacher about this but it sounds like the best idea. i hope everything works out hun :heart: thinking of you
    triggs xx

18. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Leave him an anonymous note. If he still does it, go up to his face and tell him to stop it, it's irresponsible. If he still continues, report him.

19. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Rather than all virtually flaming the fella (although he can't see it), why not go with gentlelady's approach?

Seems the most sensitive way to go about things.

20. nevertheanswer

nevertheanswer Active Member

Then he is acting unprofessional, and not to mention, insensitive! Please report him to a person in power because that professor can cause so much more problems.

If you did (or didn't), what happened?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.