Technology, for better or ill?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by MrDepressed, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrDepressed

MrDepressed Guest

Technologies is an area that greatly interests me, and I would like some thoughts from others on how they see technology going, the good side and the not so good side...
    So bring out some little opinions or some deeper opinions, give us some links to read some new technology or some older technologies that should be advanced more.

So far I use www.tfot.com , www.slashdot.com , www.sciam.com , and http://www.popsci.com/popsci/ for most of my tech articles.

2. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I don't think it's such a great idea for depressed folks to contemplate what can be done to make life more depressing.

3. the_nihilist_reason

the_nihilist_reason Antiquities Friend

Technology is amoral, so any answer is always relative.

4. Random

Random Well-Known Member

It's not technology that worries me. It's the unfortunate mixture of idiots and technology.:unsure:

5. the_nihilist_reason

the_nihilist_reason Antiquities Friend

Short and to the point!
    This was the theme of Terminator 2 as well.

6. Random

Random Well-Known Member

The Terminator movies are great! It's amazing how they're so popular and so many people who've seen them and love them just don't get it.

7. MrDepressed

MrDepressed Guest

Thanks for the replies...
    So here is one of the technologies that has my mind goin abit crazy http://www.tfot.info/articles/28/speaking-without-saying-a-word.html
    In a nut shell its a technology that monitors your sub vocals (signals sent from the brain to the voice box preparing you to speak), now while I can see some very positive uses for this technology I also see some negative impacts of its uses, which may not be negative if used properly.. but here I go... say that this system is perfected and that they can monitor your thoughts, what will that do? It could be used in psychology to get a much more rounded opinion of your thought process, It could be used in conjunction with lie detector tests, could be used for military POW's, and on and on... my thought on this is how far will they be able to intrude on the privacy of out thoughts in the future, and will this lead to a positive for society or a negative? Is this to invasive? Are there more cons to this technology than pros? I would like to see how it goes, I am both excited and nervous.. time to learn how to meditate.. hahaha

8. Random

Random Well-Known Member

MD - Yes. Eventually, I believe it will be possible to basically read people's thoughts. It's a matter of time, really. Is this a positive for society? Are you kidding? Does anyone really think it would be just great to have someone reading your thoughts? Perhaps even without your knowledge or consent?

Again. With technology, there's always the issue of people doing things that they probably shouldn't just because they can.

9. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that in the future they will genetically engineer all humans to become less violent and agressive, more prone to thought and contemplation, etc. etc.

Just a dream of mine.

10. Random

Random Well-Known Member

You can do that without genetic engineering but marijuana is illegal

11. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Agreed! And what a great movie :)

12. pit

pit Well-Known Member

I don't mind medical or dental technology. I'm thankful for the fact that dental visits are virtually pain free.

I don't like communications technology that cram movies, pictures, and internet into a godamn cellphone. Text messaging has to be the stupidest thing invented. I don't care for the fact that we can now hang thin TV sets on a wall. Or be entertained all the time with an I-Pod hanging from your ear. To me, this is all lazy technology.

The technology we really need to worry about is military. The fact that we have the power to blow up the Earth ten times over shows you the only real progress we've made is in the science of mass murder.

13. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Well, think about it. It can only get worse. Even though nuclear weapons have the capacity to destroy us all, it would take quite a few of them.

But as always, when you look ahead, technology generally only advances. We worry about some terrorist or rogue state getting their hands on a couple of nukes. What happens when someone eventually invents a weapon that can destroy the entire planet in one shot? And that will happen eventually. It's a matter of time until someone invents that. That or smart viruses that target certain genetics or something. Scary stuff. But it's inevitable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.