teen suicide stats

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by eaglecreek, Nov 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eaglecreek

eaglecreek New Member

this is the 2nd time i have posted this so please dont delete. if its offensive to someone i apologize in advance.

my ex wants to put our 6yr old on meds for mental illness. i been researching teen suicide rates and 90% of teen suicides have a mental illness diagnoses and most are ether on meds or recently off. what i dont get, since 1980 the rate of teen suicide is about the same, the math doesnt add up with so many more on meds with mental illness. how can it not be higher than it was 20 to 30 years back? anyone know more about this?

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Actually the vast majority of suicides are not on medication or treatment and 80% of people of all ages show improvement with treatment and medication. It is the lack of treatment that still persists (even though greatly improved over years before) that results in most suicides. At 6 years old you need to discuss carefully with your sons pediatrician and make sure it is psychiatrist qualified in youth/adolescents and learn about the dx and treatment options before making a decision. If I were to guess at that age it is probably ADD medication at that age?

3. eaglecreek

eaglecreek New Member

where did you find this info? i spent many hours researching this and all the info i found (university academics and doctors) said the opposite. the only studies i found that agreed with what you say are the drug companies.

4. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Hey can't compare today's stats to 1980s as too many variables.

When it comes to children and medication- its a sticky/touchy subject with some people. The source of information one wants is from academics/doctors who are not related to the drug company or is getting paid by them.

Good luck with your kid, todays' medications are way better than what was available in the 1980s.

5. eaglecreek

eaglecreek New Member

"Hey can't compare today's stats to 1980s as too many variables. "
    those "variables" are exactly what i am looking for so yes, i would need to know what was going on in 1980, or whenever to know how things have changed today. that make sense?
    thank you for your concern, i dont want him on any drugs. i think drugs should be a last resort, not a convenience for the parents.

6. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

So talk to your sons doctor make sure you understand what options there are out there for you son such a therapy with a child psychologist I understand your concern i do so you look into other options with your doctor and find the safest way to help you son hugs

7. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Understandable. The environment and social attitudes have evolved or changed over time. Mental health is not the same as it was 20-30 years ago. even 10 years ago. Meds back then was very rough on the human system, it's lesser now but always still side effects. There's social issue of kids today being over medicated hence it being a sticky/touchy subject that I really did not want to get into as I don't know the specific mental illness your son has.

Prodecures has changed like back then when I was hospitalized they restrained me over little issue when I was a teen and I was left restrained in bed all night. Now it's a big no-no unless danger to self or others then will do only 15 minute at a time as a very last resort or it's not allowed anymore in some places.

8. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

I couldn't say... Stats are quite off putting because they generalize and don't put everything into account. But the can be very accurate aswell.. hence the problem with using them as a real justification.

I'm really sorry to hear your family is going through this right now. I really agree with Total Eclipse. I am personally against drugs, as I feel they interfere with the individuals ability to identify and cope with issues which allows them to potentially overcome them. However there are instances where medication really does benefit the individual. So because your son is so young, I assume it's something very, very specific. Perhaps you can look into the types of medication they are suggesting, and find a forum or community that has people who are or have dealt with children diagnosed with the same condition your son has. It might bring some more insight into what is happening, and allow you to see what is an overrreaction, and what is fundamentally proven to be effective in combating ... whatever's the problem.

But with all due respect, your question is way, way to general. With a query like that, you'll be bound to find exactly what You want. But not exactly the truth, or the beginnings of it. You need to study the specifc condition, and talk to honest health professionals who deal with natural developments in children. So you can begin to understand the contrast of what your child will be struggeling with. Their might be alternatives. There might be certain things you can be doing to strengthen your childs development so he won't need to be so reliant on medication. Or a whole slew of things.

It'll be very hard work.. I'm sorry I don't have anything of value to help you with. But I just know generalized searching is going to hurt you more than it is in being truly productive. Just remember, you've spotted something off. You can help to understand and nurture past it. But you need to really understand what's happening. And I don't feel you're asking the right questions yet. Alteast on here.

Sorry if my writings insensitive.. I've got a bad habit of it. No excuse.. I wasn't trying to be in the slightest. Kind Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.