Teenager survives fall from Golden Gate Bridge

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Prinnctopher's Belt, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Teen Girl Survives Fall From San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge
    Second Teenager to Survive a Fall From the Bridge in Past Two Months

By ELOISE HARPER
    SAN FRANCISCO April 18, 2011

A teenage girl who plummeted from the Golden Gate Bridge was recuperating in a hospital today, making her the second teenager to survive a fall from the San Francisco landmark.

Witnesses reported seeing the 16-year-old girl, who has not been publicly identified, go over the side of the bridge at 10:56 a.m. Sunday. The Coast Guard was able to recover the young woman who was responsive.

"The girl was conscious when she was pulled from the water," Coast Guard spokeswoman Laura Williams told ABC News.

The Coast Guard rushed the girl to shore where the San Francisco Fire Department took her to Marin General Hospital.

It has not been determined if she fell or jumped off of the bridge.

Full Story

2. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

pretty lucky considering the bridge has something like a 98% death rate if people jump?(I'm probly wrong, but the chances of surviving were somewhat low)

I remember when they were talking about the other teenager that jumped, apparently for the fun of it. A surfer ended up telling him it was a stupid thing to do :laugh:.

Imagine if she did jump and she hit the water but came back up........I'd be like "Wtf?? It was ment to bloody work D:! Argh >:|" lol

3. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I don't even want to think about what some of those people went through before they perished. I'm sure it happens that not every single person dies on impact or is knocked unconscious and never regains consciousness. I would guess a certain number of people drown/freeze. To me, drowning and freezing simultaneously would be one of the worst ways to go imaginable.

4. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

It's all down to how they fell which dictates the outcome,I watched the documentary and they interviewed the male survivor who decided he wanted to live on the way down.

5. AlienBeing

AlienBeing Well-Known Member

Probably best not to jump on a windy day as they say the wind slowed him down.And I'd go when there's not many people around too, in case I'm unconscious but not dead yet. I'd be OK with drowning or freezing while unconscious.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012
  6. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

There's a documentary about people jumping off the Golden Gate bridge can't remember it's name though, I'd like to know what her outlook on life is like now after surviving that fall, assuming it was an attempted suicide.

7. AlienBeing

AlienBeing Well-Known Member

Yeah I've seen it. <modedit: texasitty>

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012
  8. texaskitty

texaskitty SF Cat Lady Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I am closing this thread as it is tending towards methods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.