Tell me about high school

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Briezy, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Briezy

Briezy Well-Known Member

Im starting a book about a popular girl in her senior year. She is at her prime as the most popular girl in school the one that rules the world. We all know this girl. We all saw this girl and delt with her in High school. In the middle of the school year she is affected by anxiety attacks because of rumors that someone else started about her. She is getting a taste of her own medicine. What we all wish would happen.

I need some ideas for my book and I was wondering if any of you had experiences with the popular kid? were you the popular kid? what was it like? Also how did you first start experiencing your symptoms of Your mental illness? I won't use any of your names and will change defining characteristics. Thanks For your help!

2. GameADDict

GameADDict Aspiring psychologist

My experiences are varied. Some of the popular kids were nice to me and others were not. The ones that were nice were not my friends but they didn't judge or ridicule me. So I guess that's "nice." The ones that were mean would call me weird, ugly and stupid.

3. Briezy

Briezy Well-Known Member

Im sorry to hear about that. At least they were not all mean to you! Thanks for your response!

4. Niantiel

Niantiel Active Member

I was more like the nerdy quiet guy that hung out in the back of the goth kid circle, mostly keeping to myself. I kinda fell neither here nor there really. I've pretty much always been very much a loner by choice. I had A LOT of "friends" in high school. Although, when I became aware of that, I quickly distanced myself from pretty much all but a small handful of them. I never really went back to trying to be social to that level again. It's just easier to manage smaller numbers, and I'm more about quality over quantity if given the option in life. If NOT given the option, well thank fuck I grew up poor because I'm used to it now. Hahaha. I was a terrible student. I skipped class A LOT. I didn't go to homecoming, or to my prom because I didn't have anyone to go with...Prom was the night that my cousins then-boyfriend (now deceased) put a guitar in my hands. He watched how my hands worked with it and said "Nah, you're more rhythmic...here, try this bass. It's a little easier." And well, that was how and why I ended up starting off as a musician. :)

5. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

I was just the weird one in high school. I went to a private Catholic school for girls, hated it. They were all prissy b**ches! Back in the 80's I guess I could have been fashionably considered punk rock, so I think that these girls were afraid of me somewhat because I rarely talked and I suppose I looked tough, though I was a sensitive mess on the inside. The popular girls talked to me anyway, but like I said, I think it was out of fear because they were always uncomfortable around me even though I wasn't particularly a threat.

I have a memory though. One of the popular girls, her name was...let's say Christina. Her boyfriend was someone I knew and kind of had a crush on. I never let him know, nor her. I've mentioned before here on the forum that I had 2 boyfriends when I was in my teens, then I was alone for 20 years. The second boyfriend, let's say "David", was that guy that she was seeing in high school. I was 19 when we got together. I bumped into her one time and she was so mean and nasty to me when she saw us together, like I didn't deserve to have her sloppy seconds or something...he told me that he'd just broken up with her the year before and she was acting out of jealousy. Made me feel slightly smug, though me and he didn't last more than a few months!

Don't know if that helps for your story or not @Briezy !

Briezy and Brian777 like this.
  6. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

My experience was a little different. I was raised in Scotland until I was 14yrs old, then my parents and I emigrated to Canada. School was an absolute horror, the first day I showed up wearing(my usual shirt and tie, blazer and grey flannel pants, that's how we dressed for school in Scotland) I also had a thick Scottish accent, bear in mind this is 1966 the middle of the hippie movement :) needless to say, I stood out like the proverbial sore thumb. I don't think I spoke(willingly) for the first two years, everytime I had to do a class presentation I'd be sick for weeks before. I actually left school at 16 to get away from the embarrassment. I did upgrade my education through college, but that was many years later. I have no good memories of school and the popular kids, well.......I wasn't too impressed. I was befriended by others like myself and I'll always be grateful to them for accepting me.
    Brian

Frances M likes this.
  7. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

I second that, no good memories of high school at all.

Briezy and Brian777 like this.
  8. Briezy

Briezy Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Those stories have given me some really good ideas!

Brian777 likes this.
  9. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

Hey you could make it into a horror movie...Catholic Girl High School Terror or something like that, lol...

Witty_Sarcasm and Brian777 like this.
  10. Briezy

Briezy Well-Known Member

With a Scottish transfer student. I love it Frances!

Frances M and Brian777 like this.
  11. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

:) sounds like a winner to me Briezy, bet you never expected these responses when you posted this :)

Frances M likes this.
  12. Briezy

Briezy Well-Known Member

No I did not for sure!

Frances M and Brian777 like this.