Tell Me Interesting Things...

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Freya, Feb 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

BORED - I am BORED. Work is dull and I considered playing games in the game room but then I figured that instead I could rely on you wonderful coffee house people to tell me interesting things. Anything at all that might generate an "Oooooh!" or even a "huh!". If you are feeling really ambitious you could aim for a "Wow!!".

Go go go....

2. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Hope this will make you laugh :p

My Grandmother was very into psychic phenomena and sat in circle to develop her psychic abilities.
    This lead to her becoming something of a nut job and my grandfather, a stoical down to earth person, called her and her friends the witches.
    One summer, we had all gone to the beach.
    Nan, in her usual way, suddenly got taken by the sea.
    Now, this has happened to me, a sudden feeling of being very small in the universe and a sensation of being called by the sea.
    Nan, in her usual dramatic fashion, immediately started saying "the sea is calling me, hold me back, hold me back!"
    Grandad, soto voce, replies "let her go, let her go!" :rofl:

3. Freya

Hahahaha Terry - that made me laugh. Your poor Nan. (Or maybe poor Grandad!)

4. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Those evil rich people - Bill and Melinda Gates of evil Microsoft made over $2 BILLION in charitable cash contributions last year (not the BS stock contributions) - and Mark Zuckerberg (from the evil FaceBook ) nearly $1 Billion in cash contributions to charities.

For $5 I will give you there personal email address as I am sure they each have a little left over still......

5. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

In 1995, a Budgie named Puck was entered into the Guinness book of world records for having the largest recorded speaking vocabulary of any bird. Puck was observed and tested over a period of 6 months for this record. He knew 1,728 words, was capable of creating his own phrases that were (more or less) grammatically correct and relevant to the situation. It was possible to have a reasonably intelligent conversation with him.

I thought for sure this record would be held by one of the larger parrots, but no. Smallest member of the parrot family, common house budgie, took top spot.

6. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Some people are surprised that polar bears do not eat penguins. It is logical, though, because polar bears and penguins live in opposite parts of the world. :D

2 people like this.
  7. Freya

These are interesting things! Ben - I think you should waive that $5 fee in this instance.... And Mr Stewart - I had a budgie. Didn't say a single word. I feel cheated :/

8. Freya

Acy... I heard it was because they cannot get the wrappers off - though that joke might only be understood in the UK where a "penguin" is a popular chocolate biscuit. Sucks when you have to explain your jokes lol

9. Acy

Freya, :rofl: "Cannot get the wrappers off" is funny even if one is not from the UK!

10. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Here's one nobody except me and a Russian will know:

What does KGB stand for?

Yes, it is the Rusky Secret Service but KGB?

Kommitet Gosurdvennoi Bazopanosti

:tan:

11. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

New just in - My satellite TV company just let me know that they have launched dog tv - TV just for dogs and there is a one week free preview http://dogtv.com/ -

FYI I turned it on for a few minutes - my dogs were not impressed - Romeo mentioned it is not even in HD .....

12. Cariad_Bach

Cariad_Bach Staff Alumni

I cuddled a meercat today!
    He was smelly... And cuuuuuuute! ;)

13. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I have a birthmark on my knee that's shaped like a paw. Maybe not too interesting, but different.

14. Acy

"Human Interest" factoids

Human hair grows at a rate of about 1.25 cm (0.5 in) per month. (Wikipedia)

Human nails grow faster in the summer. (Wikipedia)

There are three different types of human tears - basal tears, which lubricate the eye; reflex tears, in response to a substance getting in the eye; and crying/weeping tears, which result from emotions. Each kind has water, salts, antibodies, and enzymes. (Wikipedia)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.