Tell therapist everything?

I'll have my first appointment with a therapist this week (last time was 7 years ago, when i was 12)
And im not sure if i should tell him / her about all my thoughts...
Im afraid that they might overreact and think that its worse than it is and give me meds that do more harm than good...

Because sometimes i have good days or even weeks and i think that it perhaps isnt necessary to see a therapist... well my father wants me to just "man up" so i guess he also thinks that its unnecessary...

At the same time, i have weeks where i just lay in bed all day, just listening to sad music or nothing at all..

Im not sure why, but im really afraid of going, because it feels like, when i go, i let the depression become a bigger part, like an "official part" of me, and in the end making me more depressed than before...

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hi richard, a therapist cannot prescribe medication. Do you mean you are seeing a psychiatrist?

At 19, just open up about things bothering you now as in immediate things, you don't have to go through the whole 7 years in your first session.

''man up'' term is usually used be people that do not understand mental illness so ignore that comment. You're better than that :) Rise above it.

Don't be afraid to go, it is always a good idea to see someone when feeling the way you are, it's normal to have some degree of anxiety about it.

Well done for making the appointment, keep us updated :)

Shannew

Hey Richard :)
It might be helpful not to think of going to therapy as an official label for depression rather the first step to getter better and being the best version of yourself. Its better to be honest so the therapist can refer you to proper help like a psychologist or psychiatrist if you need it and they are trained professionals. They will work with you to figure out the right dose of medication if you need it.
The goal of therapy is to get YOU better so if theres anything you don't like about your therapist or treatment you can always change it. In the end its more likely that you will come out feeling better rather than worse.
All the best my friend xx

Hi richard, a therapist cannot prescribe medication. Do you mean you are seeing a psychiatrist?

At 19, just open up about things bothering you now as in immediate things, you don't have to go through the whole 7 years in your first session.

''man up'' term is usually used be people that do not understand mental illness so ignore that comment. You're better than that :) Rise above it.

Don't be afraid to go, it is always a good idea to see someone when feeling the way you are, it's normal to have some degree of anxiety about it.

Well done for making the appointment, keep us updated :)
yea sorry, its a psychiatrist... i mix up the terms sometimes... i used to just call them doctors, because that way i dont sound like like some insane person (thats basically what they are, right?)
but im honestly not sure whats bothering me... I used to be extremely afraid and emotional when i thought about failing my exams in the summer, but now its like i dont feel anything at all...
Sorry i dont know how to describe it...
Well i guess i'll find out how it goes... :)

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
yea sorry, its a psychiatrist... i mix up the terms sometimes... i used to just call them doctors, because that way i dont sound like like some insane person (thats basically what they are, right?)
but im honestly not sure whats bothering me... I used to be extremely afraid and emotional when i thought about failing my exams in the summer, but now its like i dont feel anything at all...
Sorry i dont know how to describe it...
Well i guess i'll find out how it goes... :)
No need to be sorry, you're absolutely fine :)

Yeah a doctor it is. Just be open honest, you cannot beat open honest communication. I hope it goes well for you and it benefits you. Well done again for making the appointment, that in itself proves you want to get better and you are putting measures in place for that to happen.

Best of luck :)

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
They are doctors.
Good luck with it
If you tell them all, then hopefully they won't misinterpret it.
Also, you might want to think about therapy/counselling, for that can help a whole lot with learning how to deal with whatever is going on for you.

ToGoFruit

I'll have my first appointment with a therapist this week (last time was 7 years ago, when i was 12)
And im not sure if i should tell him / her about all my thoughts...
Im afraid that they might overreact and think that its worse than it is and give me meds that do more harm than good...

Because sometimes i have good days or even weeks and i think that it perhaps isnt necessary to see a therapist... well my father wants me to just "man up" so i guess he also thinks that its unnecessary...

At the same time, i have weeks where i just lay in bed all day, just listening to sad music or nothing at all..

Im not sure why, but im really afraid of going, because it feels like, when i go, i let the depression become a bigger part, like an "official part" of me, and in the end making me more depressed than before...
It's completely understandable that meeting with a professional causes some nerves. Our thoughts are sometimes really good at jumping to the worst case scenario in how we'll be perceived. However, there is a detrimental downside in not being forthcoming with someone in confidence. It's likely the stuff you'd rather not discuss is the stuff that needs to be worked on. If you hide it, that's an extra burden to carry. Not being transparent can be very wearisome in a place that's designed to be safe. Use your discretion...if you're not comfortable with this particular individual, don't force it, but I would encourage you to be open with someone you trust. One of depression's biggest weapons is shame. If you're worried talking about it makes it "official", you'll be stuck in this painful middle ground where truth is not allowed in. There is nothing wrong with the thoughts and feelings you're experiencing, but you can't do it alone. It is worth the risk in trusting another to walk alongside you in support and love.

It's completely understandable that meeting with a professional causes some nerves. Our thoughts are sometimes really good at jumping to the worst case scenario in how we'll be perceived. However, there is a detrimental downside in not being forthcoming with someone in confidence. It's likely the stuff you'd rather not discuss is the stuff that needs to be worked on. If you hide it, that's an extra burden to carry. Not being transparent can be very wearisome in a place that's designed to be safe. Use your discretion...if you're not comfortable with this particular individual, don't force it, but I would encourage you to be open with someone you trust. One of depression's biggest weapons is shame. If you're worried talking about it makes it "official", you'll be stuck in this painful middle ground where truth is not allowed in. There is nothing wrong with the thoughts and feelings you're experiencing, but you can't do it alone. It is worth the risk in trusting another to walk alongside you in support and love.
Actually I'll see him tomorrow, hope all goes well :)

it did go well i guess. The doctor was a very nice and kind person, he asked me stuff about me, family , friends etc.

I told him about my thoughts to harm myself and that im afraid of them forcing me to go somewhere. He told me that he'd never do that, as long as i promise him, that i dont harm myself..

He gave me antidepressants, which hopefully start to work in 2 weeks... i think theyre called duloxetin-mepha (any experiences?)

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Good for you!
Could you ask him about therapy/counselling too? To help learn how to deal with the thoughts....
I don't have experience with meds although I know that for many people it can take a month or two to start helping... so if it doesn't miraculously change don't give up :)

To my understanding ill simultaneously start counseling with him
I know that it taked 2 weeks or more for the antidepressants to work. He gave me some other medication to help me sleep right now.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Keep in touch with us here, ok? We're pretty good at keeping up with meds and also with dealing with the docs. I'm sure everything is going to work out ok with this. Good on you for taking the 1st step.

I never tell them the dark truth because i'm aware it can get me locked up against my will under Section 8 of the Mental Health Act.

It sucks that i can't tell them everything. I have really dark thoughts of harming myself and others but don't plan on acting on them. I've also done some things that i regret too. Not being able to talk about them makes it harder. I just wish i could tell someone everything.

I never tell them the dark truth because i'm aware it can get me locked up against my will under Section 8 of the Mental Health Act.

It sucks that i can't tell them everything. I have really dark thoughts of harming myself and others but don't plan on acting on them. I've also done some things that i regret too. Not being able to talk about them makes it harder. I just wish i could tell someone everything.
mine told me, that he wont call or tell anyone (even my parents) if i dont wamt, under the condition that i promise him not to harm myself or others...

Have you tried saying something like:
"I have a few things that id like to speak about, but im afraid of your respnse.."
Something along the line

I'm doing ok, thanks :)
Yesterday evening was bad, but now it's okay again.

I've been to the psychotherapist a couple of times (also twice with my sister). He's very nice and I think that we work well together.

Also the antidepressants are starting to work. :) (I take 90mg Duloxetin)
More and more days are becoming good or at least decent ones :)

I just still struggle with sleeping... not falling asleep, but I always wake up during the night and also wake up early...

Anyway right now I'm just working on getting some daily routine (doing some workout, running, perhaps some studying).

@Innocent Forever, how are you doing? How was your day?

Richard :)

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Creating a routine is awesome. I know I should do that. I'm glad I work, I don't think I'd get out the house otherwise... (besides that I really need the money).
Sending strength your way
Keep us updated....

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00