Telling a Doctor I'm Suicidal

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by feathers, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feathers

feathers Well-Known Member

I'm going to the doctors tomorrow after college for an emergency appointment after having an extremely bad night last night. Does anyone know what the doctor will say or ask if I tell her that I am suicidal? Anyone know what to expect?

Thanks,
    Aaron

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

If you tell them that you're suicidal from my experience they'll want to put you in a program or something, but if they think you are a danger to yourself in the immediate future they'll send you to a psych ward. Which isn't the worst thing in the world if you really are feeling that suicidal.
    :hug:

3. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

In the UK it's uncommon to be placed in a psych ward for being suicidal. Your Dr will probably ask the usual questions about why you're suicidal, they will also ask if you have a plan & a date. They may ask about your living situation i.e. on your own or with parents, friends, a partner.

Going by my own experience your GP will probably do one of the following; ask you back in a few days for a follow up or send you to the ED to speak with the duty psych. If they do send you to the ED you'll generally just repeat what you've already told the GP. The best thing to do is be completely honest about how you are feeling. If they feel you are an immediate danger to yourself or others then there is the possibility that they will suggest inpatient treatment but in my opinion this is rare.

Hope it goes ok for you :hug:.

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

The doctor will ask you how long you have been feeling this way. If you have a plan or a date He will ask you if there is something that is causing this feeling and maybe ask you if you want to try antidepressants. If you tell them you are going to kill yourself you will get help until you are stable. A form 1 here keep you in hospital 3 days they only put you on that if you refuse to get help Be honest if you need support take it okay

5. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

As Claire said, in the UK it is VERY unlikely that hospital will be a first line of treatment. They need to determine whether you are an immediate danger to yourself or others (others being most important) or if you have psychotic symptoms, and will probably try anti-depressants first, though will probably ask to see you back again within a few days or a week to see how you are going. These appointments are usually dreaded but are very unlikely to have a dramatic outcome and you may feel a little let down, like they are not taking you seriously but for many people, anti-depressants are a help if you have some support in the 3-6 weeks it takes for them to work. Being honest though, as the others have said, is essential if the dr is going to be able to help you.

6. feathers

feathers Well-Known Member

Well, I went to see the doctor. As "Ignored" said, a let down. She gave me a phone number that I could probably have found on the internet and asked me back in 2 weeks.

7. Leiaha

Leiaha Well-Known Member

I' really surprised she didn't suggest the crisis resolution team, mine always does!

8. HaveNot

HaveNot Active Member

How unfortunate! Doctors are just there for the money know a days and usually don't care about their patients, only them selves

9. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

That statement is stupid and you should feel stupid.

10. Daydreams

Daydreams Well-Known Member

I'm actually in the same boat, thinking about telling a doctor.

I'm just concerned about this whole hospitalised thing, does anyone know what happens in Australia?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.