Telling Mom about my self-injury

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by allison, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allison

allison Well-Known Member

OK, my mom's here right now in the house. We're on good terms (we usually are). And I do think I want help. I really, really do want to stop cutting. But I said I'd wait till after my dad got his vacation so he could enjoy it. But something's pulling at me. It's like I really really want and need the help but I just can't get to it. Does anyone know some calming techniques or something? Something that'll help me be more patient. Because I really really want my parents to enjoy their vacation.
  2. IWantToBelieve

IWantToBelieve Active Member

I think you got it all wrong. The right time to tell your parents about your problem is now. Besides, they will be able to help you and digest this better while they are on vacation and away from the stress of work. Believe me, I am a working adult.

Take care.
  3. allison

allison Well-Known Member

Thank you for replying. And I do think that I should tell them ASAP, but I just really want their vacation to be stress free. If I tell them now, then they might be thinking about me self-injuring and I don't want that to distract them. (I'm going to be with them on the vacation, by the way, if it makes a difference.) My father is currently abroad so it's just my mom here now... I think it'd be better if they were both here?
  4. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

You can try these techniques..1) breathing tech:Breth in thru your nose and out thru your mouth slowly2)Visualization: Picture yourself somkewhere cool and comfortable like floating down a stream in a boat nothing around but the wind..Those two help me..
  5. peacelovingguy

peacelovingguy Well-Known Member

Go to them!!!

Tell them now.

To them you are not spoiling a vacation you are opening up to them and giving them a chance to help someone who is worth more than a million vacations in a million tropical paradises in 6 star hotels.

Your parents can go on the vacation and call you each day perhaps.

You matter more than any holidays.

Please tell them - its the only way!

They love you more than anyone ever could.

I mean - its a love that has no real conditions. Romantic love has a lot of conditions - parental - none really - they accept children who even hate them! That level of love you got to honour it - to let them know how you feel. I always feel BAD if someone I love does not share - makes me wonder if they love me enough!!

6. IWantToBelieve

IWantToBelieve Active Member

Hi again, Allison.

Peacelovingguy is basically right.

I suppose there is no harm in waiting for your dad to come back so that you can tell both of them at the same time. Asides from that, I think a family vacation is the perfect time to let them know of your pain.

Your parents love you and want to help you. They will be happy and relieved that you had the courage and trust to let them know about this, and a vacation offers the perfect opportunity to deal with it in the best way possible, away from stress and in a nurturing environment.

You will be doing the right thing, don't be afraid. And don't convince yourself that you will be spoiling their vacation, there is nothing further from the truth!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.