Telling my parents

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Pad, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pad

Pad Well-Known Member

I'm 24 and I've decided to tell my parents about my self harm problems. They will find out sooner or later so I might as well. I'm thinking about telling them over msn because i dont think i can do it in person or over the phone, would this be ok? I think it would be a good way as they could react as bad as they like and I wouldn't feel too bad about it and they would also have time to think about it without me being there. I have some very nasty scars on my legs and some on my arms so always wear long sleeves and trouser. Every summer is torture so I'm going to see what happens. I haven't done it in so long so thats one thing i have in my favour.

Any advice would be very greatfully recieved =]

2. bulet-theory

bulet-theory Member

I say for it you might be surprised how cool they are about it!! when i told my parents I was 18 and sure yea they were shocked and i got the whole we never expected this of you etc etc after a week it was al sweet and we talked about seeking help ( at this stage I already had without their knowledge). Anyway I think if it makes things easier for you, tell them...and tell them in a manner you feel comfortable with, then give it time!!:cheekkiss: good luck and much loveage!

3. Pad

Pad Well-Known Member

Thankyou, i just have to wait to see them online. Soooo nervous about it :huh:

4. bulet-theory

bulet-theory Member

let me know how you get on.... i hope your ok. if you need to talk im here x

5. Rachel123

Rachel123 Well-Known Member

I've been contemplating telling mine too...

I think msn is okay... Whatever way you feel most comfortable is best.

6. SweetSurrender

SweetSurrender Well-Known Member

Good luck.
    I couldn't talk to my parents over msn, not because it is a bad idea, just because they don't quite understand it so by the time i got a reply i would have worked myself into a frenzy! haha. I like face to face, it's easier for me because i'm good at reading body language and knowing when it is all too much. That or old fashioned letters, but then you have the whole 'have they received it yet?' dilemna.
    I think you have made a brave decision!
    take care,
    SS

7. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I'm sure it would be okay over MSN. All that matters is that you tell them the easiest way you think. My mom doesn't know about me don't think I'm ready to tell her yet. Its awesome that you are wanting to talk to your parents about it.

8. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

I envy you but can't give any advice because I'd be a hypocrite if I did. All I can say is that I wish you the best of luck.

9. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Hey I think that is a good idea actually. Over email.
    Good luck! :heart:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.