Telling the psychiatrist

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by faded echoes, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. faded echoes

faded echoes Active Member

I was just wondering if anyone could help me with a way to tell my psychiatrist tomorrow that I've been feeling extremely suicidal but without the possibility of landing myself back in the hospital. I really can't end up back in there but I need to deal with this once and for all because I feel like there is no surviving this one.

Thanks for your help.
  2. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

Since I don't know you or your history I can't tell you how to inform your shrink of your suicidal thoughts. If might make a difference depending on whether you've ever attempted suicide before and how many times. Your shrink has only what you tell him/her to go on, and if you've attempted before they may think it necessary to put you in a hospital.

You may want to tell him/her starting with "I really don't want to go into a hospital for this, but I think you need to know..." and then tell them how you've been feeling. I really can't advise you, not knowing your situation, but I do hope you can tell your shrink how you're feeling and be able to resolve this problem.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.
  3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i think it's a good sign you want to tell him/her, even though you are not sure how and not sure of the consequences. as you say, you can see clearly that you are gonna need some extra help at this time to survive this round.

there might be some other supports he/she can help arrange for you, instead of hospitalization. so ask if there is a mental health team that could work with you, or a day program of some kind. that's what they prefer to do here instead of inpatient treatment.

i don't know what your experience of the hospital has been, but for some people it can simply be a safe place to rest until the day you feel stronger again. but if you don't want it, just be sure to express your desires up front.

good luck, and let us know how it went?
  4. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

How did it go with the psych? Did you manage to tell them?

I don't know your history or how things work in Canada but in the UK you wouldn't get admitted just for having thoughts, or even acting on them for that matter :mellow:. Here it seems, well in my case anyway they will only admit you if you say you have a plan & know when you are going to act on it.

I truly hope that you found the courage though to say how you are feeling.

Claire xx
  5. faded echoes

faded echoes Active Member

I told my psychiatrist what my thoughts are and she admitted me. She promised that it would be a short admission though - only 2 weeks long. I hate the hospital so much. It's so boring. Thanks for your support. Now I've learned the hard way what NOT to say.
  6. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Is it just some doctors that admit? I've told 3 or 4 seperate doctors that I was feeling suicidal and I never got admitted. Once a doctor asked me if I wanted to go to the hospital and I said yes, that was all.
  7. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

I've also told my psych I was suicidal and was not admitted. I guess it depends who you see. So, at worst, it's boring, but at best, it's keeping you alive for a few more weeks. And who knows what might change over those weeks. I say take advantage of this time away to reconsider your plans. Are you still as determined to kill yourself as you were on the weekend?
  8. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

What exactly did you say? I have a similar thread called "the system sucks" where I have mentioned something similar to this. It is on page 2 of the suicide forum. It is also my fear too being admitted. I have sometimes just given small hints to the counsellor and she decides to go further with it than that is up to her.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2008
  9. cayzira

cayzira Well-Known Member

"Now I've learned the hard way what NOT to say."

Me too. They seem to assume that people will never tell the whole truth, so they take everything we say as being only a fraction of what is really going on... very frustrating when your are telling it straight.

At least your safe though. Hope you are ok.

Take care of yourself
  10. Christianv2

Christianv2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, you have to be careful what you say. I've been told once that I was about to be admitted but I talked my way out of it, with pure BS. I hope your stay isnt so bad. take care
  11. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Hope you're holding up & that things aren't too bad in there.

Your psych obviously done what they thought was best.

Here's hoping your stay is short & safe. Keep us posted if you can.

12. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

It is so hard, because you want to blurt everything out, but then you have to stop yourself. I once said to the counsellor "suicide is a game the whole family can play", she laughed and then said it wasn't funny. She has a sense of humour.

I got dobbed into the CAT team, I was shocked when they rang me. I rarely lie, but I said so much bs I managed to talk myself out of it. As I was telling all the BS over the phone my face was going bright red. I think the only truthful thing I said was my name. LOL :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.