Telling therapist about suicidal feelings?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by elvinchild, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elvinchild

elvinchild Well-Known Member

If I tell a therapist I'm feeling suicidal, what will they do? Are they just going to listen and help me through, or will they send me to a crisis center or hospital or something? I honestly want to kill myself, and I have pretty detailed methods planned out for if I want to, but I promised myself that I'd try every possible treatment and give myself several years before I give up and make a suicide attempt. I don't have the items or substances I'd need to carry out the methods that I've planned. I want to tell somebody (other than my boyfriend, who is very hurt and troubled by it), I want to tell a therapist, but I don't know if they'd believe me if I said there's actually no risk of me killing myself right now. Can they tell someone or send me to a crisis center against my will?

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hello,

I'm sorry you're feeling this way.
    My counsellor once told me that if I told her I was going to commit suicide that she would have to tell my doctor.Suicidal thoughts may be different to thoughts of acting on them though :dunno: I'm not sure but I hope you will be able to tell her how you feel in confidence.

You can check out the link in my signature, might find the answer there. :) :hug:

I wish you the best of luck!

3. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

I've told many doctors and therapists that I was suicidal and they've never hospitalized me. If you really want to try every possible treatment available then you need to tell them how you really feel.

4. depleted_soul

depleted_soul Well-Known Member

When I told my therapist I was suicidal she sent me to the ER for a psych evaluation. They didn't keep me overnight or anything but I still didn't expect to be sent to the hospital. During another session she asked if I was still having suicidal thoughts and I was but I told her I wouldn't act on them for now. I actually did have a plan and the means which is probably why she sent me to the ER the first time. I think you should tell your therapist, I doubt if you'll get sent to a crisis center or anything, especially since you do not have a plan or the means to do it right now. Suicidal thoughts are usually taken seriously so I think they would believe you even if you do not have a plan. And the only way they can tell someone is if they like feel you are an immediate threat to yourself or others but I don't think that will be the case for you. I wish you the best and hope you can find the help and answers you need.

5. beautifuloblivion

beautifuloblivion Well-Known Member

I told my therapist that I had been having suicidal thoughts, and I didn't get sent to a hospital or anything. He just listened and talked things through with me, but I didn't have a specific plan. I think depleted soul is right...they can't send you anywhere unless they feel you are in some sort of immediate danger. I think it's best to tell your therapist how you really feel so they can help you through things. Best wishes with whatever you decide to do. :hug:

6. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hi ElvinChild definetly telling you therapist everything is needed to get proper healing It is the only way therapist can truly help you if you are open with them with everything. I have told mine about sucidal thoughts and he has worked throught these thoughts with me never got sent to hospital. Be open okay you will get the help you need that way take care

7. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

I told the shrink I see, and she didn't do anything. I even admitted to her that I was worried about saying some things, because I didn't want a one way ticket to the looney bin, and she told me that going to hospital would not help me.

8. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

It depends, if your therapist is assured that it's just a feeling and you wont act on it it's unlikely they would send you to the hospital. But to get the help in dealing with these thoughts you need to be completely honest with your therapist. Good luck.

9. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Well said in above post.

My own experience was thay they would ask if I'd ever considered it, then they asked if I had a method,; when I answered yes they asked if I planned on acting on it and I said no, which was true.

Please follow advice from above by LENA! I fele the same way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.