Temp Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightning05

I started a new temp job assignment 3 months ago. I'm hiding in the bathroom crying and on the verge of a panic attack if that's any indication of how things are going. This is the most disorganized and messy department I have ever worked in. Their records are incorrect going back years and some things they don't even have records of. I can see why, because about 5 hours of each day is my coworker trying to find a record he misplaced. I have spent the last 3 months organizing everything to the best of my ability and keeping it in a centralized location, but even with me spending 3 months organizing everything things STILL cannot be found. I have to help him find everything, even records from before I worked here!!

Now I am getting snarky emails from the finance person.. all of the records I am sending him have apparently been incorrect. What am I supposed to do? I have been here for literally 3 months. I have NO idea what was happening before that time and where to find the records. I said that to him in an email.. that these records are the best of my knowledge. I feel like I'm at the end of my rope. Every day I'm asking to compile a list of something or another even though I have already made lists of EVERYTHING. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT I'M LISTING ANYMORE.

On top of that there is a completely failed side project that's happening. We are supposed to be doing upgrades on people's phones and computers to a new service. Half of the time the new service crashes, the customer is angry, and we have to placate them while working with the service people behind the scenes to fix it. This is daily life at this place and I want to scream. I'm a very organized person and I really don't like having to back track. If the service isn't working for half of the people why are we still doing it, you may ask. I'm asking the same damn question every day.

Yesterday my coworker told me that they would like to extend my assignment. PLEASE NO. I'm halfway through and I'm looking forward to getting the hell out of this place. Right now that's the only silver lining.

My hope is by the end of the year I can find a place that I want to work permanently in my chosen career. I had NO idea temp work could be this stressful. My last assignment was not much better than this, except it was boring and tedious with shitty supervisors more than stressful. This is just a hot mess of a place, honestly.

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
Hi @lightning05 - I’m sorry work is rough right now. It’s unfair of them to expect you, a temp, to be able to come in do things perfectly if the set-up isn’t right to begin with.

I’m glad you are hoping to find a permanent job in your chosen field. Do you have any relaxing things to do outside of work for now? It’s a job, but it doesn’t have to be the focus of your life away from work. I hope you can find things that are good to do when you are not at work. Be safe. :)

Innocent Forever

🐒🥜🍌
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I started a new temp job assignment 3 months ago. I'm hiding in the bathroom crying and on the verge of a panic attack if that's any indication of how things are going. This is the most disorganized and messy department I have ever worked in. Their records are incorrect going back years and some things they don't even have records of. I can see why, because about 5 hours of each day is my coworker trying to find a record he misplaced. I have spent the last 3 months organizing everything to the best of my ability and keeping it in a centralized location, but even with me spending 3 months organizing everything things STILL cannot be found. I have to help him find everything, even records from before I worked here!!

Now I am getting snarky emails from the finance person.. all of the records I am sending him have apparently been incorrect. What am I supposed to do? I have been here for literally 3 months. I have NO idea what was happening before that time and where to find the records. I said that to him in an email.. that these records are the best of my knowledge. I feel like I'm at the end of my rope. Every day I'm asking to compile a list of something or another even though I have already made lists of EVERYTHING. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT I'M LISTING ANYMORE.

On top of that there is a completely failed side project that's happening. We are supposed to be doing upgrades on people's phones and computers to a new service. Half of the time the new service crashes, the customer is angry, and we have to placate them while working with the service people behind the scenes to fix it. This is daily life at this place and I want to scream. I'm a very organized person and I really don't like having to back track. If the service isn't working for half of the people why are we still doing it, you may ask. I'm asking the same damn question every day.

Yesterday my coworker told me that they would like to extend my assignment. PLEASE NO. I'm halfway through and I'm looking forward to getting the hell out of this place. Right now that's the only silver lining.

My hope is by the end of the year I can find a place that I want to work permanently in my chosen career. I had NO idea temp work could be this stressful. My last assignment was not much better than this, except it was boring and tedious with shitty supervisors more than stressful. This is just a hot mess of a place, honestly.
Sounds like a chaotic place... I hope and pray you find a good permanent job... and sending hugs, strength and peace

lightning05

Thanks for your replies. I really needed to vent a bit.. today was so chaotic. Outside of work I just exercise, read, and play games. I was supposed to travel a bit this year and signed up for some classes (because I had a feeling temping would suck) but of course all the classes and travel got canceled. So I'm just trying to get lost in my books and games when I get home. I really need to start writing more though. Ironically since we started quarantining and staying home more I haven't been journaling as much.

foreverforgotten

Quiet Observer 🦋
SF Supporter
Hey i feel you in the temp jobs. Im working temp soon again, and every so often too. Dont go down with the ship personslly. They have no limit to putting work on you. But you do have one. just recognise you're human and be gentle with yourself. Dont let it consume you. If that requires you go slower at work, take BR breaks, than okay. Dont get worked up. Act like youre doing the best you can. (Fake being nonchalant.) "hey, im doing the best i can"
eventually this will end..
*hug

Atleast when i was in my nightmare job, i realised how i project myself is how they treated me. So i started acting more chill. Stopped saying sorry. And if i made a mistake i wouldnt point it out or ask too many questions. Just went with it.. Idk if thatll wotk for you but if you get super overwhelmed it might help.

Last edited:

lightning05

Dont go down with the ship personslly. They have no limit to putting work on you. But you do have one. just recognise you're human and be gentle with yourself. Dont let it consume you. If that requires you go slower at work, take BR breaks, than okay. Dont get worked up. Act like youre doing the best you can. (Fake being nonchalant.) "hey, im doing the best i can"
eventually this will end..
Thanks. This was actually my attitude yesterday and today and I am learning that it will be better for my mental health to take this approach. Today when problems arose during the project I sat back and let my coworkers worry about it because expecting different results when we keep trying the same thing won't work. Lol. It will end and I have to keep that in mind and look forward to it. I'm also reminding myself to be grateful I have a job since last year was very rough for me employment-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00