Temporary coping methods

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by dropdeadfr3d, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dropdeadfr3d

dropdeadfr3d Member

<Mod Edit - This thread has been moved from another as it was straying from the original poster focus but still worth discussing in another thread>

Pot does effect everyone in a different way... I have trouble settling down at the end of the day... my mind just keeps going and that is (for obvious reasons) not helpful when you're not in the best place mentally. So, having something that "de-motivates" me for even an hour or two... I can't express the benefits.

I am in no way suggesting that anyone use marijuana... just saying what I have experienced personally.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2013
  2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Re: comfortable

I am suggesting that there is no real benefit. It is a temporary coping method with no benefit longterm and in fact the opposite as it prevents serious pursuit of anything genuinely beneficial. I hear it a lot , and I tried it few times years ago - but I see far far too many people on here in crisis and serious depression that are heavy users/abusers of drugs and alcohol. That is even more common of a trait than past abuses or difficulties.
    It is always claimed to be "coping" and self medicating - in fact it is the largest part of the problem most often as it prevents dealing with other problem. The "benefit" wears off in a few hours but all the problems are still there and suddenly it has been months and "nothing changes" ....... because th eonly solution pursued last a few short hours and solves or fixes nothing.

3. dropdeadfr3d

dropdeadfr3d Member

And I am only suggesting that the effects are like any other prescription... different for everyone and subject to proper and improper use. : ) Like I said...I'm neither advocating it's use...nor am I saying it has none. I meant no offence... if your opinion differs from mine then I'm fine with that... but please allow me the same freedom to form my own opinions.

Also though...temporary coping methods can lead to a healthy and happy person who no longer needs anything outside themselves to lead productive lives. Again...only my thoughts on the matter and I in no way intend this to be anything other than a friendly exchange of ideas. : )

4. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I believe a key element that may be missing here and is more missing since I cut off the the original post this began attached to is the person had admitted to psychological dependency in the recent (3 months ago) past. It is hard for me to believe somebody with a dependency issue in the near past could get a benefit from now.

Drugs and alcohol are not medicine. They are recreational. Calling them self medicating is simply a polite term for abuse.

And yes - of course you have right to an opinion :)

5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Have to agree totally with NYJmpMaster seen too many people in with crisis who state they just use for as medicine it is NOT a medicine it is a substance that can and does change the mind to a point it can be permanent damage especially to those who have psychotic issues you have a right to your opinion but as a medical person who has seen so much damage i have my opinions on what has been presented infront of me for years. Hell my brother is now totally psychotic and not able to be brought back because of his use of so call medical substance

6. dropdeadfr3d

dropdeadfr3d Member

I'm sorry to hear you have a family member who has had such trouble, Eclipse.

I feel that the problem is in the person using a thing...not in the thing itself... and that was valid ( I thought) to the topic because as long as a person says that thier problem is outside themselves... they will never really be free of it. But it doesn't really matter... since this is already labeled as "off the original topic" what I had to say no longer applies. My attempt was to place a different opinion out there in the least judgmental way I could... no more no less.

7. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

I used to smoke a lot of weed. it was fun for a while, but I think it just wears you down over time. made anxiety much worse.

so I think that there are other treatments that are better. I suppose though if you are really on the verge of serious self-harm, smoking a joint is probably a better option

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.