Terminal and Suicidal

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by itmahanh, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

How or what words of advice would you give someone if they were terminally ill and feeling extremely suicidal. Do you tell them to hold on or not?
  2. seithkein

seithkein Well-Known Member

wow this is a though one. Just say that you support whatever they chose, whether it being death of life.
  3. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

depends on what the illness was and what their quality of life is
  4. itmahanh

depends on what the illness was and what their quality of life is

Not sure what difference that makes, terminal they are going to die and quality of life always deteriorates with such illnesses. But lets just say terminal cancer and quality of life is just now starting to deteriorate. Now what do you say?
  5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

If the person is in severe psychological and physical pain....I think they should end their pain. I know this is a pro life site and we should always encourage others to always try and hang on but this is an exceptional case..why keep living when you're in constant pain that there is no cure for.
  6. TheWr0ngChild

TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

This is controversial ground, and you don't give many details. I personally am not going to enter into the whole "die with dignity" debate. I'm just going to say make sure they get the BEST medical care possible, if your in the UK and it's cancer contact McMillan Cancer Releif, my dad had a nurse from them while he was ill and they were fantastic in every possible way.

I'm sure simlar organisations exist worldwide that offer care to terminal patients at home. Some people prefer to spend their last days at home rather than in a hospice or hospital.

If a person is terminally ill they should be given the best pain releif possible to make sure they are not suffering in pain.

This is all the advice I can give here. Sorry to you and this person.
  7. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I would be all right with there decision. After all it's there life. My parents both have do not resusitate orders. If it is there time so be it. All we can do is let them know while they are still alive just how much we love them. My parents live on the other side of the state and my sister and my self will go over there evry couple of months and spend the weekend with them. As far as I see it is all you can really do legally.~Joseph~
  8. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

I would support them whichever way they decide to go, though I personally would want them to live. :hug:
  9. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

As long as the quality of life still exists i would encourage them to keep fighting. This means accepting treatment for pain management and possible remission should a new and different treatment surface.
  10. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Hi Carla. I would tell the terminally ill person to hold on as long as you can, because death will come eventually. There's no need to rush it. Just as long as he/she isn't suffering too badly or in too much pain. :hug:
  11. itmahanh

Thanks for the thoughts and advice folks. I'll have to mull it over for a bit.
  12. Sometimes (if not most times - I have found...) "Listening" to someone is far, far better than "Telling" someone anything. You've a good heart - and much understanding. Compassion beats platitudes -- hands down...

13. LightInTheDarkestNight

LightInTheDarkestNight Well-Known Member

I can relate to being in so much physical pain you think death by suicide is your only escape, luckily I'm not in as bad pain but at times I think that it is still my only escape..

Yes being listening and understanding is the best bet, afterall they're the only person who knows how it feels to be in that body.
  14. Right U R Ken

Right U R Ken Well-Known Member

I really like this answer. And just today I arrived at a similiar idea for myself before even reading it. I found my method locally. I looked at and thought "I have some time, it's here for when I need it later". So I didn't buy it. I wasn't chickening out. Quite the opposite. I felt a sense of control over it.

So anyway the idea is to get out and do something. I can always die later. My now gone girl and I live in different states. We were just talking about how much we each needed to get away so we were talking about going on e trip and meeting some where. She told me to get lost so that trip together isn't going to happen but I'm thinking I'll do it anyway. Just go somewhere. Spend some money. Just do whatever. I don't even know what yet but it doesn't matter. I can just go for that very reason. It doesn't matter.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.